Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   AVM Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Need info on Dr. Yakes (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=1241)

KristieinStMarysGA 02-24-2005 09:30 PM

Need info on Dr. Yakes

Hi,

Just got home from my arteriogram, and got a good/bad news thing, I don't have an AVM as suspected, it's a capilaryvenous malformation, I am glad the artery is not involved, but according to my interventional radiologist what I do have is pretty bad from my elbow to just before my wrist and invading the muscle, He is calling Dr.Yakes and looks like I am headed to CO.
Can anyone provide info on the doctor and the hospital and surronding area?
It would be appreciated, thank you!
Kristie

hankbartenbach 02-25-2005 12:13 AM

Re: Need info on Dr. Yakes

Hi Kristie,

Here you go, Glenda gave me this info.

Dr. Yakes, attended Rice University for undergraduate studies and graduated from medical school at Creighton University. He served 12 years in the US Army, including service in Desert Storm. Dr. Yakes was board certified in 1983. He has subspecialty training in Interventional Radiology and Interventional Neuroradiology. He established the Vascular Malformation Center at Swedish Medical Center in 1991 to specialize in the diagnosis and management of vascular anomalies in all anatomic locations. It is the only center in the world that is totally dedicated to the management of vascular malformations and is referred patients from virtually every country in the world.

Wayne Yakes, MD
Medical Co-Director
Phone: 303-788-4280
501 East Hampden Ave
Englewood, CO 80113

I live in Colorado Springs CO, which is 70 miles south of Denver. If you come to CO we can get together if you want.

Talk to you later.

Hank

pennyroyal 03-04-2005 03:22 AM

I am a patient of Dr. Yakes, and just wanted to let you know that you will recieve the best possible care at swedish...I have an AVM in my right foot, and I can empathize with any anxiety involved with treatment. If you have any questions or want to talk, feel free to email me...good luck and God bless!

safeaster 03-06-2005 04:07 PM

He is a GODSEND!!! I have VM in my chest wall which started on the right and decideed it would make a run for the left side so now I have it on both sides.

I was recommended to Dr. Yakes from the Mayo Clinic. They said they are the best in certain areas but Dr. Yakes is the top dog!! I just returned from there 3 weeks ago and have some pretty intense bruising but the pain in my side is gone! I have been going to see him for 6 years. I am 40 years old and have had 5 surgeries, 3 months of radiation, and countless doctors tell me the pain was in my head. Go see him and you not go wrong.

We stay in Lakewood which is West of the hospital because the traffic to get back to the Marriott at the freeway is a killer. It is easier the other way. We stay at the La Quinta Inn on Hampden in Lakewood. There is also a Holiday Inn (have not stayed there), a Comfort Suites (DO NOT STAY THERE -- BUGS IN ROOMS), Residence Inn.

If you need further assistance, shoot me a message. I would be happy to help you out!

KristieinStMarysGA 03-06-2005 08:01 PM

Thanks...

I still don't know for sure what is going to happen, I haven't heard anything more from the doc who did the arteriogram over a week ago. Have any of you run across that problem ? Doc doesn't return calls quickly or at all, very frustrating!
Since I am on unpaid medical leave I need to get this taken care of.....
Another question my VM is in the forearm and invading the muscle, what can they do? My doc doesn't know he told my vascular surgeon not to operate on the arm due to it being so complex, any help would be great!
I really don't know what else to do, I haven't used my hand in almost 2 months due to the swelling and pain, how long before I loss mobility and function??
sorry to have vented...
kristie

jazzychris4 04-25-2005 12:08 AM

hi iam christina,i have avm in left arm
14 surgreys because mine is aterious
dr yakes to me is the greatest.
i live in utah,have to go to devner
but your in good hands
good luck
christina

KristieinStMarysGA 04-26-2005 04:57 PM

Hey,

Well just a short update on me! I have finally got that appt. with Dr.Yakes it's May 24 and then treatment/surgery on the 25th.
I have booked a room at the Marriott, I heard from someone that traffic is pretty crazy from the hotel to the hospital, but for fifty dollars a night..oh well!
I am a wee bit nervous, but I will get over it!
I got a call from Swedish Med Center with a price estimate and they have said 19,000-40,000 or more, yippee!!!
Ugh but they want 50% at the time of service, should be happy to know they accept all major credit cards, yay! My credit limit is 3,000....lol
So Dr.Yakes is a good guy, eh?

Thanks everyone
Kristie

hankbartenbach 04-26-2005 08:02 PM

Hi Kristie,

Just wanted to let you know that it is not just that street that is crazy, it is the whole town and everyone in it. lol

I drive thru there way to much as it is. I see Yakes tomorrow for my eye problem.

I will fill you in after I see him.

Hank

KristieinStMarysGA 04-26-2005 08:40 PM

Thanks Hank...good luck tomorrow!!!

Kristie

hankbartenbach 06-03-2005 11:37 PM

How did your appointment go with Dr. Yakes?

Hank