Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   General Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Questions about Dr. Waner consult (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=1325)

ChristopherM 04-12-2005 03:06 AM

Questions about Dr. Waner consult

I FINALLY got a consult with Dr. Waner, and will be making the trip up to NYC from Kentucky late next month. Danielle gave me the name of a couple of potential places to stay near their offices, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I just bought my first home and have student loans, so I am on a VERY tight budget!

Also, I am 31, and my VM is very deeply embedded in my right cheek. Not the bluish VMs you often see (except under my eye), but makes my cheek very large. I've had many surgeries through my childhood, and view Dr. Waner as my last hope to get rid of this thing, at least in part. Most doctors (regular plastic surgeons, not experts on this issue) have told me that it is so deep and near major nerves that there is nothing that can be done. Anyone with any similar experiences, I'd love to hear your story if you can give me a little hope. I just got my appointment, so I'm a bundle of excitement and fear. What can I expect from the consult?

eprmo 04-12-2005 01:32 PM

Re: Questions about Dr. Waner consult

First, let me say, I live in St. Louis, and have been to kentucky Lake,,it is beautiful there.

About your consultation, Dr. Waner will examine you and may have other phyiscians with him to also evaluate. he will put you at ease right from the start. he is a gentle, kind man, filled with compassion for his patients. He will explain to you in detail, what he would do for your individula case,.

I took my 15 year old daughter to him, as a "last resort" as well, and he performed a surgical procedure on her. She is satisfied and we have stopped all further treatments until a later date,,(if she requests it)

Elissa
psyelectro@aol.com

ChristopherM 04-13-2005 12:10 AM

Thanks Elissa, that puts my mind at ease! Any suggestions on where to stay for the consult? I'm glad he was able to help your daughter. I remember how difficult it was for me as a teenager, I can most definitely sympathize.

eprmo 04-13-2005 01:37 AM

his office arranged for us to stay in the apt's. owned by the hospital. contact the office and see if they have some available the dates you will be there. just know,,they aren't the nicest in the world.

elissa

ChristopherM 04-13-2005 03:34 AM

Is his office near the hospital? I've only been to New York once before, so I'm not entirely familiar with the city. As for nice, if you saw the construction I'm doing on my own in my house, I'm comfortable with not so nice! :)

eprmo 04-13-2005 08:05 PM

It depends what hospital he is seeing you at..but,,taxi's are available 24/7, as well as buses and subways...

I belive the office is not so close to most of the hospitals he is working out of now...but in NYC,,,just going cross town,,which is not to far,,could take awhile depending on traffic!

call the office and see about those apt's...Good Luck!

Elissa