Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Youth and Teen Support (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Please help answer question.. (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=2183)

Leviathan 11-25-2006 01:46 AM

Please help answer question..

I searched for a forum to ask my question, and I stumbled upon this one.. So I'm anxiously hoping for some help.. I've been eagerly waiting till February to visit a doctor to give me an estimate on my birthmark removal. But I really don't have a clue as to what kind of a birthmark I have. Anyways, this birthmark has bothered me for years, it's on my forehead, and well I'm very self conscious about it. Here's an image to better describe it..

If perhaps one of the members here could tell me a little more about my situation, and what kind of implications removal would have, perhaps lazer removal? Price, etc..

Thanks!

hankbartenbach 11-26-2006 06:54 PM

Hi,

First of all welcome to the group.

From the picture you posted it is hard to tell exactly what kind of a birthmark it is, but I diffently can tell you about the laser treatment if that is what the doctor is thinking about using. I would say for the size of your birthmark it would take an average of 2-4 zaps depending of the size the doctor chooses to use. Price was, because of the size of your birthmark the appointment will probably take less then twenty minutes, which the laser treatment would take less then two minutes the rest talking. It will probably be a flat rate any were between $100.00 and $300.00 It really depends on the doctor. Being I have not ever had a laser treatment under fifty zaps that I know of the price range I gave you would probably be closer to what you will have to pay.

Also, being that your birthmark is not in a very sensetive area and I do have some of my birthmark in that general area, pain wise will not be to bad. If you are worried about it take a rubberband with you and snap yourself in the arm to distract yourself. I use to do that when I was worried.

Also, If you would like to get a doctors opinion you could look at the front of this website and choose who you would like to talk to and send them an email.

Hope this helps and have a great day.

Hank

nickbar 11-26-2006 08:15 PM

From the picture it looks brown/tan? if yes, it might not be vascular...but a nevus of sometime.

There are doctors that will treat non[vascular lesions. Let us know how your appt. goes.

Corinne

Leviathan 11-26-2006 11:29 PM

Thanks so much for your feedback, I've been refreshing this topic for about 2-3 days, and I'm pretty excited about the positive feedback. I'll visit the doctor soon here, actually when I get my tax return :cool: :cool:

And yes it is brown, tan colored. Doesn't stick out on top of the skin, so no incision should be made..

nickbar 11-27-2006 02:03 AM

I would suggest also contacting dr. Mihm on ask the expert page and include photo and clinical history. His clinic sees patients now with nevus birthmarks... it looks to me like a cafe el laute birthmark???? Dr. Mihm will be able to give you options probably.

Take care.

Corinne