Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Living with a birthmark - my story (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The way my life goes (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=2313)

JeZouMaarIrisHeten! 03-23-2007 04:57 PM

The way my life goes

Hi!

My nickname is Dutch, it says: ''Your name should be Iris!'
I'm born 16 years ago with a strange spot on the left side of my belly. I have a micro-macrocytic lymphatic malformation. I'm also from a triplet! My brothers are OK, they haven't got any birthmarks (except from their belly buttoms).

The doctors and my parents thought it will dissapear, and when I was about 10 the doctors said what I got on my belly is too large to remove it. I hated that day, and I should wait for a couple of years, so the technology can be there to remove my birthmark.

A couple of years later I went to see a doctor in the Academical Medical Centre (AMC) in Amsterdam. A doctor thought he could remove it :). Yes! Some good hope! Before a doctor told me it cannot be removed, because it's too big. Well, within a year I will know the lasertreatment will help.

I am getting treated with the pulsed dye laser, and it seems to work :). It hurts, but it makes my belly look the way it supposed to look. People give me strange reactions when I show my belly, so I don't like to show it, and I rather like not to talk with strangers about my belly. But I miss school when I'm seeing a doctor, and people ask me why I'm not at school. So then I just tell them, because the else may think strange things.

In may I see my dermatologist again, and will treat my belly. I'm really looking forward to it, I got lots of questions!

Greetings from Holland,
Iris

hankbartenbach 03-26-2007 03:02 AM

Hi Iris.

First of all welcome to the group.

I am a 24 year old with a birthmark on my face. I started laser treatment 19 years ago. I also use a pulse dye laser. I am so thankful you found a doctor that has a laser. Also I am glad that it is working well for you. The laser has only work on me a little bit because of the thickness of my birthmark. I have had plastic surgeries also.

I know exactly what you mean about the questions or stares. You should not have to had your birthmark from others. I guess after the years of gone by it does not bother me as much. Something that might help you boost your confidence is remind yourself that nobody is perfect and that if someone judges you that is their problem.

I hope your treatment goes well, and hope to talk to you later.

Hank

JeZouMaarIrisHeten! 03-26-2007 11:06 AM

Thanks for your reply and answers, Hank! :D Very wise answers ;). You really seem to be a experienced young man, and very social.

I always cover my belly, and in the dressingrooms of school people sometimes ask about what I have on my belly, but usually they don't see it.

I'm blessed with a good and expercienced, doctor, and my life will change if my CLM is removed. Then I can shim in a bikini, and sunbade (I love it!).

I don't like the lasertreatments, but if I read on the internet (the past 3 weeks) I see people who have something sumulair like me, but much worser, and on a spot which cannot be covered. I've read your story, Hank, and I like your courage and confident.

Greetings,
Iris from Holland

JeZouMaarIrisHeten! 04-28-2007 11:59 AM

Another update about me:

I've seen a surgeon past week, he will do a surgery to remove my cystes, if he had dicussed it with my dermatologist. I know the answer 8th of may.
The surge will be this summer, and I''ll stay one day and maybe one night at the hospital, but my boyfriend will join and support me (he has supported me all the times when I had pain from my CLM, I just love him!).

That was my news, I'll let you know when I know the answer from my surgeon! He is a hero to me :).

Greetings,
Iris from Holland
OT: It's Queensday next monday!