Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Help and Resources for Hemangiomas (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hemangioma on a lower lip. (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=2774)

Ariella 02-14-2008 08:11 PM

Hemangioma on a lower lip.

Hi everyone, I am new here and have couple of questions regarding my daughters hemangioma. She has one on her bottom lip she will be 4 months next week, so far we have done 2 laser treatments from the first one we saw it shrink dramatically but b/c she had an ulcer prior to the procedure we had to wait for it to heal completely in order to do our second laser. While waiting the H started to grow again. Last week we did the second one and so far all we see is change in the color and not the size. My question is to those who have gone through couple of laser sesions when should we see the H shrinking and will it really go down after her 4th one????

The Dr. that we are seeing is Dr Waner and Levitin who by the way are very supportive and sincere people.... We have spoken to them couple of times and they tell us that the only road for us to take is the laser one. As far as steroids they don't believe she needs them. She might need a little surgery once she turns 9 months old but my concern is has anyone done a bottom lip surgery?? And is there scarring?? Should we wait for the surgery or do it sooner?? Will my daughters lip look normal?? I am a very concerned parent..
In advance thank you all...
Ariella

manijo 02-15-2008 11:49 AM

Hi my son had three laser sessions on his bottom lip.
After the first the H stared in about 3 weeks growing again. The sign that it started growing was that it was swelling and red spots started appearing
After the third laser (now 11 months have passed) the sweeling gradually diminishes, there is no great scarring and has 6 or 7 red spots that are steady, not gowing and the doctor said that they will go away in time.
I believe that laser was the best decision because surgery might remove part of the lip in order to clean it from the H.
You just have to be patient and o not get disppointed because the H might be appearing again and again.
Have faith you wii eventually beat it!

Ariella 02-15-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manijo (Post 14422)
Hi my son had three laser sessions on his bottom lip.
After the first the H stared in about 3 weeks growing again. The sign that it started growing was that it was swelling and red spots started appearing
After the third laser (now 11 months have passed) the sweeling gradually diminishes, there is no great scarring and has 6 or 7 red spots that are steady, not gowing and the doctor said that they will go away in time.
I believe that laser was the best decision because surgery might remove part of the lip in order to clean it from the H.
You just have to be patient and o not get disppointed because the H might be appearing again and again.
Have faith you wii eventually beat it!

When did you start seeng progression as soon as the 3 laser??? Did the dr tell you to have more after?? You see our third one is next week and I am praying that we will see good results. From the first time our Dr. said she will need 3 or 4 I guess it's for a reason they give you that number. After the 3rd laser did his lip started to look a little normal?? Meaning did the swelling go away??

manijo 02-16-2008 09:44 AM

At the third laser the H stopped growing. The swelling at first was bigger but in tie and really slow it started diminishing. You know it is never really steady. There are times that the baby will be wakng up swollen and othe times not. The doctor told me that after about a year from the last laser the lip takes its final form.
The lip started lookin more normal about 3 months after its last laser. But still I repeat it never is steady. Don't be disappointed if one day you see it swollen. After a few days it will be again better.
Now after 11 months it is a pretty normal lip not a perfect lip of course but there is no colour and the swelling is small and not really obvious to the ones that don't know the poblem!
I hope too that it will be your last laser.