Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Port Wine Stain Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sun exposure after laser treatment (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=2908)

momofAddie 06-02-2008 02:03 AM

Sun exposure after laser treatment

My daughter just had her 6th treatment by PDL on her right facial PWS. I should be a pro by now, but cannot remember the recommendations for sun exposure after treatment. I remember my doctor saying to be careful. Yesterday, (3 days post treatment), my daughter was at my son's baseball game. She had on 60 sunblock, wide brimmed hat, and sat under an umbrella (some of the time). I am second guessing my decision to let her go. I guess it's too late now, but what does everyone else do? It seems she is always about to go for a treatment or just getting over a treatment. We have a pool and she loves the outdoors. I hate to keep her from the sun. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

missy 06-02-2008 11:40 AM

I wish I was smart enough to put on 60 sunblock, a wide brimmed hat, and sit under an umbrella. It really does sound like you have your bases covered.

Have you ever put zinc oxide on it? You know, that white stuff lifeguards use? I'm not recommending it, because I'm ignorant, but just wondered if that would do the trick?

Missy

zuzuspetals 06-03-2008 03:11 PM

I think it sounds like you are on top of things. I think that the medical advice is to "avoid" or "minimize" sun exposure after a treatment - it would be impossible to completely shield our rambunctious little ones from the sun! Having a PWS would become the equivalent of being a vampire! Ha!
I think it is great that you let her get out there and be a kid, at the same time taking all possible precautions to protect her skin. In my opinion, you've struck a perfect balance! Nothing to feel bad about there.
Also, I have heard several people mention using a zinc sun block to put on the PWS, and they say it works well.

clong33 06-03-2008 07:14 PM

My daughter just had her 4th treatment on Monday. We have 60 sunblock and lots of wide brimmed hats for her. My concern is regarding application of the sunblock AND the antibiotic ointment. What effect do they have on each other. I guess you would have to apply the sunblock first, right? Once the antibiotic ointment is applied it is all greasy. Does the glare exacerbate the sun problem? Does application of the sun block have any adverse effects on the skin or the antibiotic ointment? I probably should have asked the doctor but I didn't think of it until we got home. Yesterday we just kept her in the house but I doubt that is going to be possible for a full two weeks. Anyone know the answers to these questions?

momofAddie 06-05-2008 03:23 AM

Information

Thanks to everyone for your support! I broke down today and called Addie's doctor's nurse. She was very reassuring to me. She said that while the spots are purple, we should really minimize the sun exposure. She said that the 60 sunblock and hat were great. I also told her that Addie seemed to be healing slower this time. Of course, I thought it was because of the sun exposure. She said that if she had gotten to much sun that the spots would have turned a brownish color, which they did not. Whew!! She said the slower healing was coincendental. I also asked her what would the worst case scenario be if the spots did turn brown. She stated they would eventually go away, but it would take a long time (ie. 6 months to a year). Anyway, she made me feel better, as well as, you all. Thanks :.)
I was proud of myself for marching her right up to that baseball field. She got a lot of looks, but one my son's baseball team members really put it in perspective for me...after numerous questions about her face and what happend, etc., the 6 year old little boy was quiet for awhile, then he look Addie right in the eye and said, "You sure are a pretty little girl." I almost cried. If any of you have been around kids that are 5 or 6 year old, they tell you their honest opinion..no holds barred. When Addie first started treatment, I kept her at home a lot. I want her to know that I am not ashamed nor should she ever be..She is beautiful..and extremely sassy and independent at 18 months old.
Okay, the antibiotic ointment question..our doctor says to only use it if the spots start scabbing. However, I do put in on anyway for the first week after treatment. I put in on about twice a day. This past weekend, I put the ointment on then applied the sunscreen. I waited about 30 minutes between the ointment application and the sunscreen application. I just felt like the sunscreen should be on top for maximum effect. I don't know if that was correct or not, but it worked for us. Also, my daugher thought it was neat to hold the umbrella. I used it to shield some of the sun. Hope that helps.

Superchikk 06-23-2008 01:09 AM

We do our best to minimize direct exposure to the sun. I've had melanoma and we are pretty careful about the sun. Our son had his first treatment for PWS in May and we'll have another in August, so sun exposure is a concern for us especially during those times.

Here's what my dermo recommended for our son:
- Use sunscreen ("adult" sunscreen is the same as "baby" sunscreen except for the scent) that covers both UVA and UVB
- Wear a "rash guard" shirt for swimming - less direct sun exposure and you don't have to worry as much about even distribution of sunscreen (we found ours at Target)
- Hats are awesome if you can get them to leave it on
- The sun is strongest between 10am and 4pm, so if possible, avoid direct exposure during those hours.