Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Help and Resources for Hemangiomas (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Successful nasal hemangioma removal (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=3261)

la4mara 12-14-2008 01:41 AM

Successful nasal hemangioma removal

4 Attachment(s)
I wanted to share our story with the rest of the group; our 18 months old daughter developed a nose tip hemangioma at 3 months. After many months of desperation and research, we found a very experienced pediatric surgeon -Dr. William Hoffman- in San Francisco @ UCSF who had lots of experience with facial hemangioma removals. We decided to proceed with the surgery and were trying to find the perfect time for it -after the hemangioma stopped growing (about 9 months and before our daughter would start walking (thus falling and her nose and messing up the "nose job"). The surgery was performed June 07. It took about 1.5 hours and we were able to go home right after. The recovery was rough and nerve wrecking (watching her 24/7 and making sure she would not bump her nose, sleep on it, etc). The stiches healed really quickly. After about 1 month, the incision had almost disappeared. The swelling took about 5 months to subside. Now, at 6 months nobody can tell that she ever had any kind of surgery or hemangioma. It was a hard decision to subject our child to the surgery for "aesthetic reasons", but we are extremely happy with the result. Please feel free to contact me, if you have any questions. Larissa -Maya's mother-

missy 12-14-2008 12:12 PM

Those eyes!! Those EYES!! What a beautiful child!!

Thank you so much for coming and sharing and posting your photos. Your story is so important to other families and it really helps to see before and after pictures.

Take good care and keep coming back... you really can help other parents who are struggling with these same decisions and we thank you for it!

Missy

simkel 10-19-2010 04:11 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. I have just found out that my 9 week old daughter has this same condition and I'm still trying to process everything and your pictures really helped me.

bunsie 10-29-2010 02:47 AM

Thanks so much for posting. We just found out today that our little one who just turned 5 weeks got the same thing. Thinking it was just a bruised nose and got the shocked once started looking at pictures and then we found this site. Your pictures really helped us be postive and know that we can get the same done for our daughter. Nobody ever want to see their child go through a childhood of teasing and taunting. I am with you on the surgery procedure. Thanks again it really helped us.

mommy2 11-03-2010 02:02 PM

Absolutely beautiful!

tommy 06-29-2011 05:06 AM

Hello Maya,

Thank you so much for giving me and my wife hope. When my son was 4 weeks old, we saw a red dot at the tip of his nose which we thought were baby acne since it appeared around the same time. He is now 7 weeks old and we were told of the shocking news by our pediatrician last week that he has hemangioma. It literally felt like someone knocked the wind out of me when I googled and found out what it was.

Can anyone suggest whether we should wait for the hem. to stop growing before doing the surgery or should we do it before it grows bigger and bigger?

thanks..
-tommy