Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Help and Resources for Hemangiomas (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A common case of strawberry with pics (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=3560)

Nataly 10-14-2009 07:53 PM

A common case of strawberry with pics

Here's our story. My daughter Paulina is 2.5 months old now. During the first days after her birth she got some kind of allergy reaction (toxic erythema). There were small white papules over her chest and belly and fewer of them on her legs and arms. Two injections of diphenhydramine were made in her left thigh and the rash began to fade out in 2-3 days.
At that time I noticed a cluster of these papules (about 10) on a small (about 1 cm) surface above her left knee, and there was a barely visible reddish color on this place. I thought it was some kind of inflammation and it would go away. In 3-4 days more the color became deeper. Then I suspected that it was a hemangioma (I was a little aware of this problem because my 3 year-old niece got lid hemangioma after her birth!).
The color was deepening every week. And then it became slightly (1 mm) raised above the skin surface. Our surgeon said that it's a strawberry (superficial, capillary) hemangioma, it's not threatening and (!) such things wouldn't go away by themselves (O_o) and some kind of treatment had to be made (here it's usually treated by сryotherapy or laser).
I attach some photos (on the last one I oiled it so that tiny tangled vessels are visible). The photos are here http://depositfiles.com/files/teyxld7lq
What is our prognosis? I don't think that the surgeon is right concerning сryotherapy here, and I'm afraid it will leave scars that will not go away by themselves for right! I don't know whether the laser is justified in this case..

missy 10-15-2009 01:15 PM

I don't really remember if there is a member here who had cryotherapy. I'll have to think that one over.

You'll have better luck if you attach a photo. Not many people are going to be comfortable downloading and opening a strange zip file.

Missy

Nataly 10-15-2009 03:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
here're the photos (i just had to resize them)

missy 10-16-2009 12:33 AM

Thanks... more people will look at the photos and you'll get more and better opinions.

Why is it that you think the surgeon is not right in recommending cryotherapy? And if you chose to have it lasered, when would they do that?

Missy

Nataly 10-16-2009 08:05 PM

The surgeon said the H's location wasn't dangerous so it could be treated after the age of 6 months (with cryo or maybe laser). The aspect of my uneasiness is the best choice in this particular case - taking action now or waiting. On one hand - the possibility of scars, on the other - the possible growth that can lead to decreasing effectiveness of cryo or laser treatment in the future...
It seems I've read all the Internet about Hemangiomas. Although it's one-sided statistics - there's mainly info about extreme cases...But there're still too many comments on relapses and scars after cryotherapy...So I'd better choose laser.. But I'm not a doctor, I'm an IT programmer...(

missy 10-17-2009 01:37 AM

Well, you do have a little more than three months to research your options. Any chance you can get a second opinion?

Missy

Nataly 10-17-2009 04:22 PM

I've asked another physician about the H (I showed to him some photos). He said that the cryotheraphy would help but there's a chance of spontaneous healing if the growing wasn't in progress. So waiting and watching is his advice. Apparently he thinks that the progress the H's showed so far is not enough to take action right now..I just don't know what rate of growing can be a bad sign (I see that some vessels dilated slightly during last weeks). And can it be that the H starts more active growing later suddenly...

Nataly 12-29-2009 08:19 PM

Can it be that H continues to be growing very slowly at the edges, and at the same time slightly grey patches've become visible at the centre of it (the sings of involution or not)? (the child age is 5 months)

nickbar 12-30-2009 07:57 AM

Yes, it is possible to have the h. in different areas go thru different stages

eprmo 01-18-2010 09:10 PM

My daughter had two different types of H's. One large one on her nose, which never completely involuted on it's own, and then a cluster of H's on her thigh,,,similar to your photo's which completely involuted by age two.

Each H, "has it's own identity: