Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Living with a birthmark - my story (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Pizza Face (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=3592)

Tiggertoo 11-12-2009 07:22 PM

Pizza Face

"Pizza Face." That is one of the most vivid memories of my first day of school. When I walked into my classroom for the first time, twenty little pairs of eyes saw my birthmark. That was the first day I learned society isn't always kind if you look different. I am now 38, and still struggle with my birthmark on a daily basis. I tried makeup for awhile, but I realized it didn't really cover it..I've had very few boyfriends, and the one I did have dumped me because he didn't like the makeup I used. :mad: I feel bad sometimes, like I shouldn't let it bother me so much. I feel dumb for worrying about what others think of me. But I can't help it. Last month I finally got up the nerve to go to work without makeup..
after "Oh my god, were you hit??" about twenty times, I went to the bathroom and cried. I'm getting to the age where I'm starting to think I may never find a person to accept me. Loneliness is hard to accept. I guess that is why I'm here..just hoping to find some friendly faces that might understand.

momof3inpa2009 12-12-2010 02:16 AM

I hope you can find what you need and are looking for. It is so hard not to worry about what others say or think so I can't tell you "don't do that!" lol I am not even in your situation and I am always worrying about things like that and even for my daughter who has a hemangioma. God bless you!

alecksky 08-03-2012 08:04 PM

Hi Tiggertoo

My name is javier Alecksky I am 36 yeas old and I have a birthmark that covers the 80% of my face is a pws,

I read your post and I used to feel the same way and I have to deal with it every single day,

there was a point in my life that I said, F%$^% everyone, I want to live and I want to live happy, if they don;t like the way I look, that's their problem,

I have never used make up, I don;t know if I want to,

I can tell you that I am a very hapy person, I work hard everyday to feel that way, and I have found someone that loves me just the way I am,

this is my mail alecksky@msn.com if you would like to keep in touch I would like to be in contact.

hugs Javier A.

Gavd37 08-12-2012 09:59 PM

Hi Tigger,

I had to sign up to the site just to give you my advice!

I am a 21 year old male from Wales and I have grown up with a large PWS on the left hand side of my face! I have always found this an issue in terms of my confidence with females and despite being a naturally bubbly person I could never converse with the opposite sex. Despite having laser treatment every 2
months since I was born I still found no reason to crack down the boundaries and I accepted within myself that I would be single for the rest of my life.

When I turned 19 I still lacked experiencing a serious relationship but the realisation of more important things in life made me grateful for what I had and the opportunitys available to me! My physical health was fine, I had amazing friends and family, I had a food and clean water and most Importantley I had my freedom to go and be what I wanted!

I then decided to go back to college to sit my A Levels where I
met my girlfriend who I have been with for a year and a half! She admitted to me that my PWS was the first thing she noticed about me but she said that te thing that most attracted me to her was how confident I was!

Since lots has changed me and my girlfriend are moving in together at the end of the month and even when I try to wear my skin camo she won't let me because I am then not the boy she fell in love with!

Seriously just be confident and get out there because we only live once and there are a lot of people in the world who are in a worse position than us. I hope my advice can be of help to you, despite my young age :P!

Good luck :)

kat bond 02 08-25-2012 07:26 AM

Hi Tigger

I am 28 Years old Female with a PWS on my left cheek, I have over 20 treatments between the age of 2-14 yrs old but ened up choosing to stop the treatments because I became comfortable with who am and stopped caring about what other people thought. Kids are cruel, I got slapped on the birthmark with a ruler by a kid at my borthers daycare because he didn't like the way I looked.

In terms of makeup, I would suggest Dermablend cover cream with the dermablend setting powder, covering just your bithmark and just a light foundation that matches the your skin colour and the dermablend. Dermablend when applied correctly works really well, so give it a trial.

I choose to only wear makep on special occasions, I work in retail and get a lot of comments from customers (good and bad) about my birthmark and there will always be the idiots out there that can't handle that not everyone looks "normal" They are the same kind of people who would make horrible remarks about a person with a disibility or a missing limb so don't take to heart what they say because they are not worth it.

I am getting married next year and having being together for 9 years, It is worth sourounding yourself with people who accept you for who you are and not how you look It is a great boost of confidence.

If you would like to get in touch let me know.