Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Port Wine Stain Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Protecting tender skin after laser treatment? (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=3732)

litabug 03-11-2010 02:16 AM

Protecting tender skin after laser treatment?

Hi guys. This is my first post on the board, but reading here has been really helpful and encouraging to me over the last couple of years!

My beautiful 2 year old daughter has a large PWS on the right side of her face and we're scheduled for her first laser treatment later this month.

I'm nervous about how she'll handle the tenderness after the treatment. I have to put band-aids on her bug bites to keep her from scratching them to pieces in her sleep, but I know I won't be able to keep half of her face covered! :(

I'm so glad we have the opportunity to give her treatment, but now that the day is approaching, I'm starting to face the practical issues we're going to have to deal with. How will I keep an energetic 2 year old from damaging the skin while it's healing?!

missy 03-11-2010 11:22 AM

HI and welcome!

Don't worry. The doctor will let you know what to do for post-procedure treatment! And she will be fine!

Missy

babylucy 03-11-2010 03:22 PM

pws treatment

From my experience with my son who has had 3 treatments so far it is more like a bruise under the skin and the actual top of the skin doesn't scab or flake or peel or anything. It shouldn't be itchy or really all that painful and we just lube the area with lots of aquaphor.
Good luck!
Shelley

litabug 03-13-2010 07:30 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. Just pre-treatment jitters, I guess! :)

The nurse said she was sending me a packet of information, but it hasn't gotten here yet. [*running to check the mail again*]

nickbar 03-15-2010 10:24 PM

My son never seemed bothered post laser. I did give him tylenol for 24 hours to make sure he wasn't in any pain, we kept ointment on the area with aquaphor. He was age 6 months to right before his 3rd birthday for a total of 8 treatments. Good luck! The first tx. is the hardest...the unknown.

addiemom 03-18-2010 02:17 AM

My daughter is 6 and hers PWS is under her left eye. She wasn't bothered at all. In fact when she woke up she wanted to go shoe shopping. The doctor even gave her the ok to go swimming later that SAME day! I did keep aloe or aquaphor on it for a week after, but I would ask your doctor. Good luck with everything...I know how nerve racking the first treatment is!

litabug 03-18-2010 03:52 AM

Shoe shopping! :) Actually - that's not a bad idea. We should let her have a little "pampering" time for the rest of the day while her brothers are being babysat.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Charlotte's Dad 03-19-2010 01:51 PM

My 3 year old daughter has a pws that covers most of her left cheek. We always put a cotton mitten on her left hand before she wakes after the treatment as she tends to rub her face for the first hour or so after treatment and we don't want to risk any scratching with her nails. She doesn't seem to have any problem with itching after that, although we do use aquaphor for about 14 days after treatment to keep the treated area moist.
All the best for your daughter's first treatment. It really does get easier after the first one.

litabug 03-24-2010 07:37 PM

We did it!

Our 2yo had her first treatment this morning and all went well! Of course, the area looks bruised, but she hasn't even noticed it at all. She just wants to run around and play (and eat). :) What a relief!

missy 03-24-2010 11:57 PM

YAY!! Glad you had such a good experience.

Keep us updated!

Missy