Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   AVM Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VM victims, work or on disability? (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=3872)

sqgiardino 06-04-2010 01:38 AM

VM victims, work or on disability?

hey everyone

im just curious how many of you work or on disability?
if you work, how do you find it? i have a VM in my leg and after i work ( or any kind of activity) i have to but my leg up and take it easy for the rest of the night because im in unbearable pain. Please share!

missy 06-04-2010 01:32 PM

Interesting question. I'll be curious to see all the responses.

Missy

CarlyJo 11-15-2010 05:34 AM

Hello,

My AVM is in my right ankle, and I know exactly what you mean about being in terrible pain after working. I am a full time student and I work. I can't avoid walking all over campus, but I try to find jobs where I don't have to be on my feet all day, and find that that helps sometimes. But yes, I've had to work jobs where I'm standing for eight hours and am immobile for the rest of the day, and even days after if its really bad. I wasn't even aware this condition was covered by disability, do we know for sure it is?

Carly

kaykay 11-28-2010 01:06 AM

i've been thinking of applying for disablitiy. its tiny. but atleast it will take care of my necessities until i can do something for myself. I dunno. i'm not really good at anything and lack confidence. trouble learning. I worry about having a job and getting sick. I like giving 100% of what i can.

nickbar 12-15-2010 02:26 PM

Some people do get disability, it depends on how muich the pain stops you from working.

To help with the pain.... Do you swim? Many vascular doctors recommend swimming 4-5 x per week for 30 min. and avoid warm water. The swimming helps with circulation. Avoid hot water. Compression stockings is something else you might want to consider

kaykay 01-15-2011 04:47 AM

i'm sick and i think i brought it on myself. using new ear phones all week travelling and driving. it really hurt in my good right ear but it seems i forgot i don't feel in my left ear covered with my birthmark and now it swollen tender and hot keeping my fingerscross it goes no further. I am pissed with myself. I know i am deaf in that ear but it helps to keep the other side up.

can't sleep tonight i'm so pissed because i've been waiting to start a job for a few weeks. Population and Housing Census going house to house. may finally start monday. i need the work. I can suck up dealing with the public but being sick means i can't do the work for a few days an i feel like crap flat on my back at home if it gets worse. i really wish this would stop happening. I'm so tired of it. I want to stop getting sick. can't rest this weekend either because i have car problems and need to get it fixed. I take care of the car and most of the family home, the doggies, cook etc...for my family. sure i'm lazy but when i'm not well enough it really depresses me. And it totally freaks my mother out because she can't help ease the pain and make me better.

I am definitely gonna apply for social assistances.

missy 01-15-2011 03:24 PM

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. :( That does suck.

Hope you can start your new job soon!

Missy

kaykay 01-17-2011 12:21 AM

i dunno if anyone has the same problem. birthmark blows up. sometimes partial. lympah glands on that side swollen and tender. horrible pain. want to throw up sometimes. loss of appetite. can hardly move. high temp thats gonna put me in the mad house one day. chills are terrible only solution is to stay in the warm shower for a long time however many times i need to. every so gently try to put tiger balm or vicks on it. ice packs on the birthmark once the fever cracks. swelling can take more than a week sometimes to go down and i am so self conscious about it. doctors don't know what to do to me so i stop going. keeps happening on and off since august last year. never use to be that frequent and i'm not doing anything different. cant cut the yard without getting sick now. sucks. got the flu on top of that. need to make sure i don't cough or sneeze that hard cause it makes it worse. dogs want to lick me but it hurts. poor guys. no foursomes for a couple day on the bed they are not happy :)

but atleast i'm getting better. fever gone. just got to deal with the pain and swelling i just try to keep in mind it will pass

Scott C. 02-25-2011 06:23 PM

I consider myself very, very fortunate. With an A.V.M. in my right hand that became symptomatic when I was about 8 years old due to trauma, I have been painfree for most of my life. By the time I turned 48, my right index finger was not exactly in pain, but rather it was sensitive to being bumped etc. As a result, I basically learned to adapt not using it excepting handgun and rifle shooting.
The pain I have now is from a nueroma (spelling?) and its best desrcibed as a feeling of pressure. On a scale of 0-10 with 0 being the least, I would place my pain level at a 5-6. I've learned to deal with it in my own way and fortunately I can pretty much do as I had before having my index finger amputated except shooting. I gave that one up-not wanting having to learn to shoot left handed. I do have my hand evaluated annually so as to manage any further growth of the A.V.M. Without that hand, my career goes along with it as well as many hobbies etc.
I wish I had some words of wisdom, but I do not. Compared to others I have been lucky and have hardly anything to compalin about.
Best wish's to you!