Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Port Wine Stain Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What to expect after laser surgery (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=5327)

Talans Mommy 05-10-2011 07:17 PM

What to expect after laser surgery

Hello. My son is 16 months old and getting his first laser treatment Thursday. Because of his age, he has to be put under for it which is scary enough. Can anyone share what I can expect after his laser? Did your child experience much pain after? If so, for how long? Due to my son's birthmark location (lower left back to left toes), he was not circumsized at birth and so they are circumsizing him at the same time. I have a feeling he will have more discomfort from the cirk. But, would like any feedback.

mikeb23ft 05-10-2011 07:21 PM

Good that you're having this done while he's a baby. It doesn't feel good but after the treatment the pain is minimal. After he wakes up he should feel fine. It might be difficult for him to lie on his back, however, be careful with that. It could be tender depending on what kind of laser is used and what the settings of the laser are.

kelmel 05-10-2011 11:13 PM

Hello. My son is 15 months and going in for his next surgery on Friday. After his past surgeries, he shows little signs of discomfort. He does wake from the anesthesia cranky sometimes, but that seems to be due to hunger more than pain. Pack some of his favorite light snacks and his beverage of choice for him to have in the recovery area. My son still loves his bottle, so I bring a few for him to have post op. After he has that, he is his bright cheerful self again, despite the bruising and swelling. I used to be alarmed at the appearance of his stain after treatment, but his doctor explained that bruising is a sign that the treatment is working. Now the purple appearance is less unsettling.

Also, you may want to stock up on A&D ointment for the circumsion healing. I went through a few tubes of it when my son had his. I probably used more than necessary, but it made me feel like I was doing something for him.

Good luck.

Talans Mommy 05-11-2011 01:31 PM

Kelmel,

How long do you have to keep your son out of the sun after? Is his birthmark on his face or body?

Also, did you have him circumsized at birth? Or, later? I'm really worried he's going to have a hard time with the circumcision.

kelmel 08-13-2011 07:18 AM

Hello!

I am sorry for just now responding. I hope all went well with the procedure. I have usually kept my son out of the sun for about 4 days post surgery. After that, we do go out, but with lots of sunblock and a hat. His PWS is on his face, so that is the process every day, surgery or not. .

Also, he is very cranky after each surgery for about two hours. Then he sleeps it off and is back to almost normal. He just had another treatment this past Tuesday and was very happy that night. He is a little calmer for a few days post op, but still happy. It is hard to say exactly how he feels since he is 18 months old and his vocabulary consists mainly of "No.". But he seems no worse for the wear. He has started noticing a difference in his appearance after the past few treatments and actually smiles at his little purple face.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you would like to chat more or share you treatment experience.

missy 08-13-2011 01:27 PM

LOL @ his vocabulary consists mainly of "No.". Apparently, that doesn't wear off until they're 18 or so!!

Thanks for the grin this morning! That was cute!

Missy

Babyshine12 08-23-2012 05:49 AM

Hi are you concern about anesthesia because I am for my daughter she is 4 months and I am thinking about treatment. Where are you?