Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Help and Resources for Hemangiomas (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New here and pic (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=5458)

Kinsleysmom 08-24-2011 03:52 PM

New here and pic

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, my daughter Kinsley is 16 weeks and was born with a hemagioma on her left jaw close to her ear. The pediatrician says that I should do nothing that it will go away on its own. Well I noticed the other day that the middle was starting to turn black and then in the middle there was like a hole. I thought it was already starting to go away but then someone said that it might be an ulceration. Never heard of it. I'm really thinking about going to a dermatologist to have a second opinion. I'll have to find one around where I live. I'll post a pic and see what yall think. Thanks in advance!!

Mommytotwo 08-24-2011 08:43 PM

The SAME thing happend to my daughters hemangioma! It started off as a pin sized black dot in the middle of her hammy and fast forward 4 weeks later it's now infected :( she's on topical as well as oral antibiotics. Email me at jm-aponte@hotmail.com if you want to chat and I can share pics :) always get a second opinion if your gut tells you to! :))

nickbar 08-24-2011 11:02 PM

I agree with having a second opinion especially if it is ulcerating. Rapid changes in the hemangioma can cause the skin to break down. Keep us posted on appointment

njmom 08-25-2011 07:09 PM

My ped told me not to do anything, and I am so glad I didn't listen. Go with your gut and go to someone who is familiar with hemangiomas.

smurph 08-25-2011 10:06 PM

Our ped. told us not to do anything either. He said that it wasn't painful and it would go away on its own...even after I called to tell him that she seemed like she had a sore on her hemangioma. My daughter ended up with an ulceration, etc. I would definitely get a second opinion from an expert. As others have said, go with your gut!

shannon

smurph 08-25-2011 10:25 PM

In my opinion, it seems apparent that pediatricians need to be more aware of the possible complications of hemangiomas and be on the look out for them. Again and again I hear the same thing...that the ped. said leave it alone and then ulcerations happen and people come looking here for answers. I know many hemangiomas do go away on their own with no problems, but that doesn't mean they all do, so that's why I think VBF is so important..to educate people on what to look for. Sorry! I get fired up about this topic! It makes me sad to see little babies in pain!

shannon

abatie 08-27-2011 09:24 PM

I agree with everyone on getting a second opinion. I originally was blaming family practice/pediatricians for not giving the right advice. Now as I have been through more my frustration/wish from these doctors is that if they don't know then just admit it and recommend someone that does.I am okay with them telling me they don't have the answers but that is the step missing with most doctors. I didn't realize where the problem was until I recently had surgery and went through it. Your doctor has read somewhere that most will resolve on their own so that is where he steered you. Unfortunately when dealing with vascular birthmarks/malformations there are lots of variables. I have come to the conclusion if it is highly unlikely/rare my daughter will probably experience it.