Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Adults Living with Birthmarks (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Update to Story (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=5475)

jpuritz 09-02-2011 01:08 AM

Update to Story

Hey! Remember me? I wrote a story on here, responded to a couple posts, then vanished, seemingly into the mists of the real world.

I just wanted to say that I'm still doing fine. I studied abroad in Japan last year, and I'm graduating this winter with a degree in mathematics.

As this is a birthmark website, I'll let you know that all of my new European and Japanese friends think my birthmark is awesome too- either because of the movie character it resembles (Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke), or because it added to my already amazing "Andre the Giant" height and frame, which they don't get that often over in Japan.

I was in Japan when the earthquake came. The quake itself wasn't so bad- I was so far away, the only thing I felt was a moment of riding my bike down a slope, but I was riding on a flat road. My family was so concerned for me though, I'm pretty sure that I would have really hurt them if I didn't come home soon.

I helped my dad put up a really-why-should-it-be-that-long fence this summer, earning a scar on my birthmark in the process. (Anyone know how scars will end up looking on a port-wine stain? Mine is just lighter and smoother right now.) That brings my birthmark mark-ups to two, including the time my sister accidentally stabbed my hand with a graphite pencil, leaving a little black dot that I will never let her forget.

Now you know! Kind of. I also dropped 60 lbs, learned to play go, donated blood four times, and became a vegetarian. Not very relevant to this site though.

Oh! And I met three people with birthmarks at my university in Osaka, and we formed a club. Does anyone else look for birthmarked people and when they see them, think that they're part of a secret club that you're in too? We all seemed to think that was a good idea.

missy 09-02-2011 11:04 AM

Hi!!

Thank you so much for the update. It sounds like you have been very busy. What are your plans after graduation?

As an aside, my brother once got the point of a pencil stuck in his kneecap. It broke off. Forty years have gone by and you can still see it in there! So, never let your sister forget.

I know it's not relevant, but why 60 pounds? Do you think it was just a culture or diet difference or did you try?

Good to see you again!

Missy

kaykay 09-03-2011 01:09 AM

i stabbed myself with a 6B pencil i had just sharpen for an art exam. the very tiny tip is also still there. right on the lifeline LOL

sounds like your having a good in japan. cool.

RowdyBliss 03-23-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpuritz (Post 24064)
Now you know! Kind of. I also dropped 60 lbs, learned to play go, donated blood four times, and became a vegetarian. Not very relevant to this site though.

Oh! And I met three people with birthmarks at my university in Osaka, and we formed a club. Does anyone else look for birthmarked people and when they see them, think that they're part of a secret club that you're in too? We all seemed to think that was a good idea.

Only ALL THE TIME! We are rare, beautiful birds, and we should flock together. :)

I also became a vegetarian, and dropped a bunch of weight. Not relevant to this site, either, but there you go. :rolleyes: