Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   AVM Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   avm right soleus muscle (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=5590)

rstern447 12-12-2011 02:11 AM

avm right soleus muscle

my 19 year old son had his right soleus muscle removed due to a large avm with multiple feeds. This was done after he had multiple embolizations to decrease the risk of surgery. His surgery was successful and he is presently undergoing rehab. Has anyone had a similar situation and what have been the long term outcomes.

missy 12-12-2011 11:39 AM

Hi and welcome!

Honestly, I can't think of anyone who went through such a procedure. I'm not sure you're going to find many people to answer you ... Hope I'm wrong!

I'm going to move this to the avm forum, so that it has its own topic there, rather than being under someone's post.

Missy

ashley339 04-11-2012 03:29 AM

I'm 22 and had a similar procedure done in December- 60% of my gastroc was removed from my right calf because of a vascular anomaly. Unfortunately I'm not sure of the long term outcomes, but I have been noticing an improvement as times goes on. I have not undergone therapy for it but will probably start soon- I'm currently looking for exercises to help regain strength in my leg and any tips would be great!

Jtest123 04-14-2012 04:07 AM

rstern447, it's been 4 months since your post. I'm wondering if your son has shown good recovery?

ashley339, my understanding is that the gastro muscles are not so critical and are often removed in calf reduction surgeries (ie cosmetic reasons!).

p/s My son's (14 this year) avm involved all 3 calf muscles: peroneus, soleus and gactrocnemius so surgery is out for now. But curious all the same.

Thanks.

Julia

rstern447 05-12-2012 05:30 PM

update

Hello, I was the one who wrote about my sons surgery on Nov 25th 2011 on his soleus muscle. It is today May 12th 2012. My son has done very well after his surgery although his scar from mid thigh to achilles tendon is still very visable. He went back to college on Jan 7th and finished the semester a few days ago. He can jog 3-4 miles per hour and walks entirely normally. His goal is to have the other leg muscles take over for his soleus muscle. For those of you who have loved ones who have severe avms there is a very successful procedure that is offered at only a few scattered institutions called embolizations. My son had approx 15 blood vessels treated with this procedure...it was very very intensive and nervewracking however it was VERY successful thank god. He was treated for these procedures at one hospital and transferred to another hospital where he had his 5 hr surgery to remove his soleus muscle..If there is anyone who has had similar experience or who can give me some long term information on future expectations or reoccurence of avms I would appreciate it. If anyone needs more information from me please contact me through this forum. By the way just for thorougness I am a physician.

Jtest123 05-14-2012 05:29 AM

Hi rstern447, thanks for the update and it's heartening to hear of your son's success!

rstern447 11-17-2012 09:19 PM

Just want to leave an update..My son had his entire soleus muscle removed one year ago. He is doing very well/walking and able to run,although cannot run very fast. The surgeon we had did a remarkable job and we are very pleased with the outcome. We don't know what the future will hold. He has had 2 MRIs done this year which were entirely normal. His surgeon was a hand/leg vascular surgeon at NYU medical center in NYC (he does not accept insurances)