Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Youth and Teen Support (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Preparing daughter for laser treatments (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=575)

Thankful 04-01-2004 12:49 PM

Preparing daughter for laser treatments

Hi, I'm new here. My daughter has a birthmark on her face & at her eye. We started treatments when she was 2 months old. We're glad we started that early. It has faded some. Now she is 4 yrs old & she knows whats going on. Before her treatment we give her something to calm her a little. We put cream on her face to numb it. I'm wondering how we can get her to hold still better. It makes me nervous because it's so close to her eye. Also does anyone have any suggestions on what to tell her, why we take her there. So she dosen't think we're trying to hurt her. And we don't want her to think something is wrong with her.

nickbar 04-01-2004 09:38 PM

Re:Preparing daughter for laser treatments

The eye should be protected with a lense if the laser is anywhere near it! My son's lid is lasered every 8 weeks...and they use a protective contact lense.

Also, I am very sorry to hear that the laser tx is done while she is awake. Very much my opinion...so dismiss it if you wish...but sedation is so much easier on the babies/children. Laser hurts! And it is very critical to not have them move....especially by the eye. They put my son to sleep with a mask...very light anethesia. He even wakes up as soon as they are finished with the laser. I know that anethiesia is a risk...its worth asking about though. It is a very light dose of anethesia. Not like IV.... (contact Linda Shannon or the "ask a nurse" if you have more q's about this subject.

As far as telling a 4 year old. It reminds me of how I approached my 5 year old son (not the one with the h.) before we went for his shots. I told him what we were going to go do...and that it will hurt...but it will protect him from things that are much worse. I told him how sick the "germs" could make him if he did not have the shots. It would be quick and the ouch would only last for a quick second. I told him he needed to be brave...and we would go get icecream afterwards (even if he lost it). I waited to tell him this right before we left so he didnt have too much time to worry. As far as your daughter...she is a bit younger...hummmmmm...she might understand though. As far as her thinking something is wrong with her...I think explaining that it is best to have this removed so it doesn't get worse. Ohhh...isn't this the hardest thing...we struggle with so much "WHAT SHOULD I DO" when we only want the best for our children.

Good luck.

Corinne

eprmo 04-02-2004 10:10 PM

My daughter is 14 years old. When she was born there weren't as many options as there is now,,unfortuenatley, we were told "wait and see" and that's what we did.

We had to tell her over and over again, that her nose had a "temporary birthmark", and it would go away. She went all through school with this attitude, and she tried to explain it to others. Sometimes it worked,,other times,, :-\...

anyway, about telling your daughter about the pain of laser...My daughter started laser at 11 years old...We did the numbing cream, and her's too, is very near her eye...We literally, had to hold her down so she wouldn't move. Two times we did it this way,,, the third treatment was done by a different doctor, and he put her under general anesthesia.

We explained to her,,,it would feel uncomfortable for awhile, but sometimes we have to endure this for good results. We told her the dcotors wanted to help her so much, and if she felt pain it's because it needed to go under her skin to remove the "redness". And,,sometimes the pain means it is working... (I tend to exagerate)

My daughter was not happy being awake, and she was very reluctant the second time around. We bought her stronger numbing cream, and still she needed to be held down.

I understand your daughter is so much younger, so it's harder for her to understand... All I can say, is,,the more sedation the better when they are that young!!!

and the good thing is,,,,,, once the laser is over,,they donot feel anymore pain,,and that was the only saving grace for my daughter

Elissa

hankbartenbach 04-04-2004 07:53 PM

Hi my name is Hank, I started laser treatment when I was five years old and have done it for 14 years on and off. The laser is going to frighten your daughter, It did not matter what my parents told me I know it was going to hurt and be painful. Thank goodness for tecnology your daughter does not have to go thur as much pain as I did.

Some things that helped take my mind of the treatment was listing to my favorite music on headphones.
A game my grandmother and I always played was she would think of a reasonable number of zaps and keep it in her pocket. I would either try to get the exact amount or higher then the number in her pocket and if I did we got to do something fun of my choosing.

One thing I strongly recommend is do not treat your daughter like she is different because that will make her feel even more out of place and distant from anyone else. You will know what I am talking about when she starts going to school and coming home crying because the kids made fun of her. I have been there and done that.

If you have any other questions please ask every one of this web site is her to help.

adaniels 04-05-2004 07:27 PM

Hi, My name is Adam Daniels. I am 17 years old and have been having laser since I was two. My birthmark covers the whole left side of my face and my eye. When I was two, my mom and the doctor had a terrible time with the laser as I was awake. At one point they tried to put some local anesthetic in my face and I thrashed and caused some problems. For the next ten years after that, I was put to sleep. It was a lot of work to go through, expescially since I didn't take well to anesthetic, and got sick. About four years ago, I began having my laser awake again as a result of a nursing shortage. Being awake is so much better now that i am older, but I would have never been able to go through with it back then. My laser was a once or twice a year thing and i got to fly across the country so it wasn't such a big deal for me, except leaving my mom to go into the OR. The biggest thing that I think you should do is explain to her exactly what is happening, its hard to try and explain something like that to a four year ld, but it is important that you try and let her know exactly what is going on. Its impossible to be perfectly comfortable (for both of you) but just remember that it will be so much better when she is older.

Adam