Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Port Wine Stain Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What to expect post laser (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=6241)

davinderhora 01-19-2013 10:26 AM

What to expect post laser

Hello Everyone,

My 9 months old has gone through her first laser treatment a week back. I do not see any visible lightening after her treatment infact I find the areas treated more red than before and her birthmark is more visible now. Earlier it was light pink now it is red. I hope this would be temporary. The bruising is 80% gone but the skin under that is still red.

Can someone share their kids experience? The doctor used V beam pulse dye laser.

Thanks

katiek 01-19-2013 03:24 PM

Hi,
I had laser treatment from age 6 weeks to 10 years (about 12/14 treatments in total - I can't remember). I didn't notice any lightening in the first few treatments, the skin does redden straight after due to the laser on the skin. It may take a couple of weeks to go back to normal- so don't worry about that. Places that have more nerve endings (e.g. palm of hand/wrist area) can talk longer to go back to normal and can be more painful.
After a few laser treatments the colour started to fade. I was told when I was 10 that anymore treatment wasn't going to affect it that much, so I haven't had anymore treatment.
I am now 18, and it has got gradually darker again. I have done research into more laser treatment but because PWS tend to be deeper than the laser can reach, the birthmark will never fully disappear. Apparently there is testing going on in the USA for a new from of treatment.

I hope this helps.

davinderhora 01-19-2013 09:14 PM

Thank you so much for sharing Katiek.

Her's is a facial PWS. After treatment how many days it takes to show some results. I just hope we can really see some difference.

I am eager to read from other members about their babies post laser experience.

tere83 01-19-2013 09:46 PM

Hi,
My baby also had treatment a week and a half ago. Her face was practically black afterwards and the bruising is about sixty percent gone. It's just red instead of purple. I've noticed the same thing you have. The areas where bruising is gone make her PWS look darker than before. This was her first session.

kelmel 01-20-2013 07:27 AM

Give it at least a month. I remember crying two weeks after my son's first treatment for the same reason. The bruising faded and he was still red. It really did take almost a month after each treatment to see the benefit.

Hang in there.

davinderhora 01-21-2013 09:10 AM

Thank you Kelmel and tere83. Your replies were a big relief.

I am just counting days to see any difference. The bruising in 90% gone by today which is her day number 10 but the redness is still there making her PWS a lot more visible. As you said Kelmel a month is what it takes so I hope to see some difference in a months times.

davinderhora 01-25-2013 08:09 AM

Hi Tere83,

Just wondering if you have started seeing any difference. Its two weeks today and i can only see the bruising be gone completely, the redness is still as it is. I am a bit concerned now thinking the treatment has not shown any results and it has made her birthmark even more prominent.

I am goggling so much these days to find any helpful information on how many days does it takes to show the actual results but not able to find any helpful information. Don't know what the outcome of her treatment would be. :mad:

ashleymarie4 01-26-2013 07:37 PM

Hi! My son is 15 months and has had 3 treatments on a facial pws. We have seen tremendous results so far...it is still there but it has faded so much! It typically takes about 4 weeks for the results to start showing and then 8 weeks to see maximum fading. Hang in there...it should start fading soon!

davinderhora 01-28-2013 06:42 AM

Thanks much ashleymarie4. I am dying to see any positive results.

Can you share the treatment intervals for your son? I have read short intervals have the chances of better results, my doc has asked to come after three months now. So I am pretty confused.

Can others as well share the treatment intervals for their babies?

ashleymarie4 01-28-2013 03:23 PM

We go every 2 months. Our doc said that it is a good interval because it takes about that long to see maximum results and then he can proceed from there with the new treatment.