Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Help and Resources for Hemangiomas (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Propranolol Instructions (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=6307)

TimH 03-24-2013 01:57 AM

Propranolol Instructions

I was wondering of anyone would like to share what instructions they were given regarding their child's propranolol treatments. I was just wondering if any variations exist.

My son is 5 months old and has a lip hemangioma. He has been on propranolol for nearly 3 months.

He is on what seem to be the standard 2 mg/Kg/day. For him that is 1.2 ml per dose.

He takes the medication every 8 hours. Our doctors told us that anywhere from 7-9 hours between doses is ok.

We were also instructed that he must eat at least every 6-7 hours to maintain his blood sugar. We've never had a problem with this.

However, we are supposed to check his blood sugar if he ever goes more than 7 hours without a feed. If the blood sugar is below 60, we are to give him glucose gel. Fortunately, we have never had to do this.

Sometimes he spits up some of the dose and we've only missed a scheduled dose twice. Under those circumstances were were told to wait until the scheduled dose.

Does your child follow the same protocol or have you been instructed differently?

smurph 03-24-2013 11:34 AM

Hi there! Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. My daughter had a lip hemangioma as well, but she is 8 years old now and the treatments back then were different than they are now. I know lots of kids go on propanolol these days so hopefully someone will chime in here with what their instructions have been. So far, from what you mentioned, I think it sounds fairly typical. Good luck!
Shannon

kfrank 03-25-2013 05:17 AM

My daughter was on propanolol for her lip hemangioma about 3 1/2 year ago. My wife and I can't remember the exact dosage she was on, but we do know she only took dosages 2 times a day (not sure what has changed in the last couple of years). We did have to check her blood sugar levels too. She remained on it until she was 1 year old.

I totally remember the frustration with spitting up the medication. If it offers any consolation, I wish our daughter had been placed on it earlier. She was only put on it after her lip had enlarged and ulcerated. Once she was on it, the growth stopped.

jennr11 03-27-2013 02:56 PM

We have been on Propranolol since May and will be finished with it next week. My daughter takes it 3 times a day so it averages out to about every 6 hours. To avoid the spitting up issue we were told to give her the medicine about 10 mins before she eats so it's absorbed into her system before she eats and is more likely to spit up. We were never told to check her blood sugar and have never had a problem with it. We've always been on the standard 2mg/kg as well.