Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Help and Resources for Hemangiomas (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Loss of appetite while on Propranolol? (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=6426)

kg8183 06-30-2013 05:41 AM

Loss of appetite while on Propranolol?

Hello

Our 2.5 months old son has been on Propranolol (2 mg/kg divided by 3 - 0.7 ml every 8hrs) for about 8 days now. We do notice some change in his hemangioma but the drop in his appetite is a little alarming to us (not to his pediatrician though). He should be eating about 27 oz every 24 hrs, which he was eating prior to the Propranolol treatment and during the 2 days he was in the hospital to start the treatment. He would usually eat 2.5-4 oz every 2.5-3.5 hrs. For the last three days we have monitored his intake and it has been 20-22 oz/day and unlike before, he has started to eat more frequently but in smaller amounts.
My question is, is Propranolol associated with drop in appetite? And if yes, is it supposed to normalize over time?

Thanks

missy 07-02-2013 01:31 PM

Hi!

This is not a side effect that I've heard from Propanolol so far. Could it be something else? I know my kids would both, when they were babies and even now, go in cycles where they would eat more or eat less than normal. They still do it AND they always stay on the same cycle. AND their sleep cycles coordinate too. When they are eating more, they sleep a lot.

I always know when they start eating heartily again, I'm going to have to go clothes shopping.

Keep monitoring it though and keep the pediatrician informed. I would think if it drops any lower, it might be a concern.

Let us know if this continues, too. I'd love to know if you do think it's a side effect or just natural.

Missy

kg8183 07-03-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missy (Post 26752)
Hi!

This is not a side effect that I've heard from Propanolol so far. Could it be something else? I know my kids would both, when they were babies and even now, go in cycles where they would eat more or eat less than normal. They still do it AND they always stay on the same cycle. AND their sleep cycles coordinate too. When they are eating more, they sleep a lot.

I always know when they start eating heartily again, I'm going to have to go clothes shopping.

Keep monitoring it though and keep the pediatrician informed. I would think if it drops any lower, it might be a concern.

Let us know if this continues, too. I'd love to know if you do think it's a side effect or just natural.

Missy

Thanks for the input. Since my last post, his eating is not back to what it was before. He is still eating 20-23 oz/day in smaller amounts. One thing that we did notice was his poop had gotten a lot harder, so he was having hard time pooping (his poop was a little on the harder side since we stopped giving him breast milk to begin with). May be that could partially explain the drop in appetite. So for that last 2-3 days we have started adding 1 tea spoon of plum juice to every 2oz of formula for every other feeding, which has has softened the poop and he can poop easier, but so far we haven't noticed an increase in appetite.