Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum

Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum (http://birthmark.org/board/index.php)
-   Port Wine Stain Help and Resources (http://birthmark.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Efficiency of laser treatment? (http://birthmark.org/board/showthread.php?t=937)

Markus 09-16-2004 10:57 AM

Efficiency of laser treatment?

I have a son who is 7 months old. He has a pws right under his left eye. We have just started laser treatment, and they have done a first "test pulse" to see how responsive he is to the laser and how they should fine tune the equipment (Flash lamp pumped dye laser).

It has now been two weeks since the test pulse, and the black/blue left by the laser has disappeared. However, I can't see any fading in the pws. They tell me we have to wait 2-3 months for the fading to show, by I still worry.

Can anyone with direct experience tell me how long it takes before any fading can be noticed?

Also, how common is it that pws are non-responsive to laser treatment?

Thanks!

Markus
Sweden

anti 09-16-2004 06:10 PM

Re:Efficiency of laser treatment?

Hello

You shouldn't worry. I also have a port wine stain and had 16 sessions. Four to five weeks have to past first and then you will start to see a fading on the treated area. the fading will take up to 4 months. That was in my case, so I am sure you needed to worry.
Keep it up!

alexasmommy 09-17-2004 02:51 AM

Hi. It also takes 8-12 weeks to see true fading in my daughter. The pws stays red for almost that amount of time.
Some areas do respond better to treatment in some people. The temple/forehead and neck tend to respond better than the cheek or lip area. That is not everyone though. Everyone does respond differently. Some areas may appear to be stubborn BUT that does not mean that you will not see fading there, it just may take a little longer.
It may also be harder for you to "notice" any fading since you see your cjild everyday.
Hang in there. We began treatment when my daughter was six weeks old. Good luck to you...
Elena

nickbar 09-17-2004 03:09 AM

Elena I am so glad you saw this post. I was going to ask you to read it.

Also, the first treatment is often a little conservative (at least most doctors I hear about and in my son's case for a hemangioma the first tx was less intense).

Also, Elena can speak more on this, but sometimes types of lasers are alternated.

Corinne

alexasmommy 09-17-2004 04:11 AM

Hi again..... :)
Corinne is correct. They usually start off conservative and see how the skin responds. A lot of factors come into play, skin type, coloring etc. That is usually why they do test spots, to see how the skin resoponds and heals etc.
I don't want to overload you with information---lol. Just ask away.
Elena

Markus 09-17-2004 11:16 AM

So what are the chances that the pws will respond to the treatment? I think I read somewhere that around 10% of pws do not show any improvement at all...

alexasmommy 09-17-2004 03:47 PM

Hi. There is always a chance that it will not respond to treatment. I must say from talking to others,adults included, I have only heard of one person that was not responding well. However, you must realize that there are different lasers to treat pws For example, if the Vbeam does not provide "good" results, you can try the C Beam etc.. If all PDL types of lasers are not working well, there are IPl lasers. There are many avenues to try before one should "give up" and believe the stain is resistant to all treatment. Plus, you may not see fading but hopefully by treating you are helping prevent or halt the possible progression of medical issues related to the pws.
One must also realize that one or 2 treatments may not provide what you are looking for. I know of many people who have had 15-20 or more treatments before they are becoming"pleased" with the results. I am sorry to say that with the current technology, most pws will not be eradicated.
Please stay positive and educate yourself and ask any questions that you may have.....
Elena

Jin9084 09-17-2004 04:08 PM

Hi. I read your post about your sons pws being under the left eye. I don't know if anyone has told you that he needs to be getting glaucoma checks. It is very important to do that. My on goes every 3 months for checks. He has been diagnosed with glaucoma in the left eye and the right eye is boarder line.
Jinny

Markus 09-18-2004 08:33 AM

Yes, he is getting glaucoma checks...