Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - the birthmark bothers me so much
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 03:45 AM

Hi,

First of all welcome to the group.

I am a 24 year old with a facial port wine stain birthmark. Which has given me hearing loss and vision loss.

Being that I have a birthmark on my face I have learned to except my birtmark and not care what other people think or say. I work in retail and get qustions and stares daily. I also started laser treatment 19 years ago and my birthmark is still very large and has grown. In 2005 I had three plastic surgeries to remove the parts that where growing outword. (which have already started growing back)

I have anxiety, but not birthmark related.

I have a question for you. Why do you try to hide your birthmark all the time? You should look at it as a gift not a curse. If you can not except your birthmark then how can anybody else. If you want to wear shorts wear them. If you want to swim, swim. If people can not except you for who you are then you do not need them in your life. For the strangers, everyone has a fla, nobody is perfect. Ours are just more noticealble. Make the best of it.

When children come up to me and ask about my birthmark I turn to education. They are just curious, and maybe they will except othes with birth defect maybe not but why not try.

The more you think negatively the more you will bring yourself down. Think more postively! Do things in your life you know it makes you feel good about yourself.

I hope this helps and if you would like to see pictures of my surgeries you can see them on my website hankspws.com

Hope to talk to you soon.

Hank