Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - New with Question
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 03:01 PM

Default New with Question

First off, thank you all for all the valuable information your site has to offer!

My son is 8 months old, and a week ago noticed a large red mark across his right ankle. It pretty much appeared overnight. At first, I thought maybe a sock had been too tight on his fat little ankles, but it has not gone away. And, it is only on the top and sides of his ankle, it does not go all the way around it. It does not seem to bother him - and almost looks like some sort of burn. It tends to blanch when I press on it, and then the red/purple color returns.

My question - do you think it could be a birthmark surfacing NOW (remember, he's 8 months old!). My daughter (who is now 6) had small birthmarks (I'm new to all this, so not sure what type they were) on her upper eye lid and eyebrow, and also on her forehead. They have gone away. My baby also has a small spot near his eyebrow, but it is very light, and hardly noticable.

We have not seen a doctor, as I'm not sure there is a need (please tell me if you think differently). It seems petty to take him in for a "unknown mark" on his ankle.

Thank you in advance for your help! It just bothers me that I have not a clue as to what this is!!!

Jill