7 week old Hemangioma on Forehead
Hello everyone. I am just starting with this fight. I have a 7 week old daughter that has a "H" on her forehead. Her pediatrician told me that it was not a big deal and it will go away and just "wait and see". I guess I would not be as concerned as I am if I didn't have any experience with the Hemangioma. My cousin who is the same age as I am had one on her lip. Her H started out looking like a little pimple and then grew and grew and grew (it was a little bigger than a golf ball). I am 30 years old now and I still remember how little kids would just stare at her and treat her differently just because of it. She had it removed at age 5 and has a very little scar on her upper lip. For the first 5 weeks of my daughters life the Hemangioma stayed the same. The past two weeks it has raised and is growing at a rapid rate. She has an appointment with a plastic surgeon/ENT here in Fort Worth Texas. I love this man and he and good Lord above have already saved my husbands life (my husband had melanoma in his parotid glands and had a total neck disection twice). I am more than confident with his abilities to treat my daughter. My husband sent him pictures of our daughter and he said that she needed to be seen and treated, the earlier the better. We have an appointment with him first thing on Thursday morning. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on Steriod Injections. I could be wrong but everything that I have seen so far on this site is that the steriod injections don't seem to work. I am also wondering about laser treatment. Any responses would greatly be appreciated. I have attached photos of my daughter and her Hemangioma.
We just got back from the doctors visit. He took pictures and explained everything to us. He said that it is a compound H and he wants to monitor it and make sure that it doesn't get infected or get a lot bigger and go down into the eye. He said that when he was in medical school and residency when they saw a H they would just say wait and see. Now, he said that they have realized that with most cases especially on the face, these kids will have to go through some type of plastic surgery or laser to revise or remove the left over skin and fatty tissue from the H once it has gone through involution. So that is why the doctors are now starting to do surgery as early as 12 months (when it stops growing completely) to remove the H. They figure that it is better to do surgery younger for a better cosmetic result than to let the child go through the teasing, staring, and unfair treatment and then still have to go some kind of revisement later. He did not want to put her on steriods at this point, he said they just do not have enough research on the long term effects of steriods. He did say if it got too out of control or ulcerated then it might be necessary to start steriods. He also said that the laser can be painful and they usually use sedation with that and again there is not a lot of research on the long term effects like how long it will last or if the color will come back anyways. He wants to see her back in three months or if it grows a lot. He was very understanding and very compassionate. He recommended we waited until she is at least 12 months before removal. I personally have mixed emotions on it and I hope that it is a miracle and it just goes away.
Last edited by MOLLIE : 01-24-2008 at 04:27 PM.