Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - HELP-huge ugly birthmark
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 10:29 PM

Lyssa,

I wouldn't let other peoples opinions ruin you life. You should be able to do everything any one else does. Try not to let the comments get to you. I have been called so many names and had so many comments about the way I look, but don't really let it affect me. I love going to the beach and wearing my bathing suit. I have some pretty extensive scarring from my surgeries and people do notice, but it really doesn't bother me all that much. The birthmark does not define who you are, it's just a part of you. I know how you feel about not telling people. I was the exact same way, though I found it better to just let people know about it and not hide anymore. It was more of a relief to live that way vs always hiding and living the "double" life. And I did have people who reacted badly, but those people obviously aren't worth it if they can't accept you. If you really want to, you can try asking Dr. Nelson about it and send him a picture of your birthmark, so he can see it. He's on the ask the expert part of this website. Good luck with everything.

-Stephanie