Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - My HUGE birthmark; HELP.
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 04:51 PM

I've found that the people who look past my purple leg and look me in the eyes are the only people whose opinions I give a damn about.

I don't know if I'm too dumb to feel self-conscious about it, but I have never let my birthmark stop me from doing the things I love to do. I've almost developed an immunity towards people saying negative things to me - it's like I'm deaf to it or something. And I HAVE had the hurtful things said to me, like "what's wrong with your leg?" Um, pardon me, nothing is wrong with any part of me, thank you very much! This is the way G_d made me, and G_d doesn't make junk. I mean, I'm not in love with my birthmark, certainly - but I don't hate it. It's a part of who I am. I am not flawed. It's just how I am. Everyone's got something that sets them apart; this is my "something." Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's bad, or ugly.

The only time I feel self-conscious about wearing a bathing suit is when I've retained water and am bloated!

If people want to stare at me when I wear shorts, I'll tell them I just got this really b*tchin' tattoo on my leg and I need to give it air.

There is no way I'm not going to wear my cute little black dress when I go salsa dancing every week. And guys - a good many, not bragging! - dance with me because I happen to be someone who can tear up the floor!

And there is no way I'm going to stop doing theatre and pursuing acting. Thousands of people look at my birthmark when I'm on stage, and I never let it upstage my performances.

To those who are self-conscious - I know it's hard. I know how awful and isolating it can feel, but you are not alone. I think the key is first deciding to not let your birthmark dictate your birthright - that is, the things you were born to love and achieve - and then making small changes, tiny changes in the way you live. Tiny changes over time turn into big results.

G_d bless ALL of us.

Come visit my blog:
http://shakingthetree.tumblr.com