Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - So I've Gotta Birthmark...
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne89 View Post
...some days I wish everyone could swap and see what it is like to live with a birthmark for a day and to see what it's like to be normal for a day.
I guess that, to me, "normal" IS the birthmark. Perspective!

We are all unique. Even people without big honkin' birthmarks have their "thing" that they feel self-conscious about. I guarantee you that most folks - if not all of them - feel "abnormal" in some way or another... if not by appearances, then by something on the inside... and I'm not very sure which is harder to deal with.

So, really, "abnormal" IS "normal" - isn't it?

Yep, it sucks sometimes, I won't lie - and it's okay to have those thoughts, they're not selfish. It's downright unfair that we have these things. But... they're here. They're US. Your birthmark's part of YOU. And I'm willing to bet you're pretty darn cool - all of you. So please don't wish to be anyone other than your fabulous self.

I've been putting off having treatment of my birthmark, too (it's pretty big - most of my right leg and some of my back). It's scary to confront some of those things and deal with them... not to mention questioning the results of surgery, will it work, how badly will it hurt, what if there are other problems, etc. However - I think it's important, particularly since it's hurting you this much emotionally, that you go to the doctor and at least see what your options are. I know you've done a lot of fact-finding already, but that information can be so overwhelming - there's so much out there! Getting a pro to help you narrow it down might go a long way towards helping you take control and be proactive. Couldn't hurt to maybe talk to a psychologist, too. (Yep, I'm doing that, too - it REALLY helps!)

Anyway - welcome to the group. There are many great folks here who share your frustrations and pain, and there are lots of resources for help and support.

I hope we hear more from you.

Come visit my blog:
http://shakingthetree.tumblr.com