Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - ANY learning difficulties in children exposed to general anesthesia in infant-hood?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 03:06 PM

Default ANY learning difficulties in children exposed to general anesthesia in infant-hood?

Have you observed ANY learning difficulties in children exposed to general anesthesia in infanthood?
This is a note to all the parents who exposed their otherwise healthy children with PWS to number of laser surgeries under GA before the age of 4.
Have you observed ANY learning difficulties or cognitive delays in your children as the years passed by?
The reason I post such question is due to increased concern and many new research articles that are published over the last 2 years on that subject on the internet. There is clearly reason to be concerned about as animal study proved the point but we have not completed human studies to confirm/rule out that early exposure to GA causes learning difficulties in children.

As a parent of a 17 months old baby with PWS I have serious concerns as I don't want to sacrifice his brain health for beauty.
When I started his treatment anesthesiologist sad 'I should not worry about it', now he says: 'some drugs MAY cause learning disabilities but we don't know that for sure yet... you have to weight the risks and make a decision based on this'.
Any help in that topic please?