Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - newly diagnosed @ 36 with VM in arm
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 12:23 PM

I am new to this forum and just saw your post.
I can't give you advice, but I can share my experience with a VM in my tricep.
I am 37 now and had a VM surgically removed from my tricep by an ortho oncologist at age 31. (I've had several of them in various locations) It took over a year for this diagnosis. First they thought it was tendinitis, carpal tunnel, etc. I had to do physical therapy, which only made it worse. Ultimately, I had pain shooting down to my hand so bad that I couldn't even use the mouse for the computer. They only found it because I was in physical therapy one day and the darn little golf ball popped out really big and I hollered to the folks to come look at it. It never popped out for the doctors because you know how cold their offices are. So then the docs finally ordered the MRI and saw what i knew was in there.
I had to take several weeks off work BEFORE the surgery because i just couldn't do anything anymore. I would just sit at my desk and cry. The surgeon warned me that the lesion was growing against the medial nerve and that there was a risk to the use of my hand. I felt that I didnt have a choice because I was in so much pain. I knew he was a good surgeon so I took the risk and I got lucky. On the way home from the hospital my hand already felt better. My handwriting stinks, but i guess it always did! Thank goodness I can type.
I now have a 3 inch scar that starts at the tip of my elbow and goes up my outside upper arm. My husband likes to tell people that I used to play ball and that I had "Tommy John surgery".
All jokes aside, I am concerned about anybody losing their job because of a medical condition. That just doesn't sound right.