Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Dermatologist dissapointment :(
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 04:40 AM

Congrats on your little girl!

It is my understanding that doctors generally don't like to perform any kind of surgery on children under 6 months, unless of course, it is a life saving surgery. My son was diagnosed with a PWS right at 6 months and the dermatologist said it was just the right time... My husband and I have decided to take the wait and see approach regarding his PWS. It is a year later now (he's 18 months now) and his PWS hasn't changed. There has also been some research published recently that general anesthesia on children under 2 isn't so great for their developing brain.

Considering my son's port wine stain is on his leg, is light in color, and we haven't noticed any changes, and his age, we are still holding off. If any of those things were different though, we may have made a different decision.

I completely understand where you are coming from. Before my son's appointment with the Vascular Anomolies Team, I wanted him to start laser treatments ASAP. I changed my mind after the appointment though. I am not sure why, but it just didn't feel right to start laser treatments right away.

Your circumstances are different though and you have to do what's right for your family!

Best of luck to you and your little girl!

Sarah

Sarah