Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Treatment Advice
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 04:42 PM

Default Treatment Advice

hi, new to this forum and have been doing lots of reading here and everyone, but i am at a fork in the road and am looking for some advice.

my daughter was born in March 2012, 7 weeks early, with a barely noticable red dot on her cheek. i was told, continuously to leave it be, as i watched it grow. oh it will go away, its done growing, etc etc. if i would not have been persistent adn done my own research i don't know where we would be.

However, i was eventually referred to a peds derm in Saskatoon, we did 3 weeks of timinol...with little results and have since been on propranolol since June (when she was about 4 months old) she is now 6.5 months old and rarely sleeps. i have been adviced it could be from the medication. i would say we have seen some results....when commencing with the med she was in the hospital for 6 days, i would say we saw great immediate results...the cone type subservice swelling seemed to go down. the redness is fading and turning slighly grey.

I am curious at what point should i start looking at other treatment alternatives, ie. surgical removal or lazer. I am tired of doctors saying leave it it will go away and then the next doctor i see says oh if you would have gotten here earlier....

i just want to make sure i have all the information i can....so at the age of 2 or 3,which is the age our derm is recommended we wait til to discuss surgery or lazer...i don;t get a doctor that says oh geez if we would have seen you earlier this would be much easier, etc.

Any advice or recommendations of doctors is appreciated. i am in saskatchewan, but would be willing to travel to alberta or winnipeg.