Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Diaper Area Hemagioma
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 05:51 AM

Meg, I totally feel your pain. My daughter is now 26 months old, but she, too, was born with a H in the diaper area. At its worst, it grew overmtheleft side of her labia and into her vagina and rectum. It ulcerated the first month, and she was in excruciating pain. We got the run around, too, from a few docs, but your gut tells you there's something to be done. There is. I'm in the Chicago area, so I don't know specific docs in NY. We went to Children's Memorial. We looked specifically for a pediatric dermatologist who specializes in hemangiomas. She is wonderful. We started Propanalol at four months, and it greatly improved. The ulcerations in that area can be infected easily, so we also used topical gels Metrogel and Regranex and slather Aquaphor on every diaper change. We were told laser therapy and surgery in this area wasn't usually done. My daughter will have scarring already, and I don't want to make it worse. I can't encourage you enough to keep seeking help until you find the right doctor. This particular area for an H can be very painful. My daughter was prescribed narcotics at one point because the ulceration was deep. Do not let people blow you off. I know it is stressful and overwhelming, but you know what's best for her. Message me any time if you have questions. Good luck!