Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Nevus of Ota?
Thread: Nevus of Ota?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 AM

I feel like I have a love/hate relationship with my birthmark. I have similar characteristics on the right side of my face as others in this forum have mentioned: blue eyeball, blue/grey coloration below the eye and on the temple.

As a kid, I was aware of my birthmark because others made me aware of it by pointing out that I was abnormal or that I wasn't like all of the other little girls. The worst for me was having adults asking if I was beaten by my parents. It's definitely traumatizing, but it's only now that I've realized it's affected my life and the way I perceive the world.

I had yearly check-ups with an optometrist but even then, not one doctor mentioned what I had and I didn't care enough to ask. It wasn't until I got into college that I was diagnosed with Sturge-Weber Syndrome. The only thing is that I don't have any of the other symptoms that usually go with the disease; I just have the birthmark, so that's led me to believe that it's just the Nevus of Ota and hopefully, in the future, I don't get those other symptoms.

As an (sort of) adult at 22, I've become more and more obsessed with the idea of getting my birthmark removed, but I don't know if it's even worth it. I'd love to get in contact with someone in this forum just to talk because I've never met anyone who has the same birthmark as me. I feel like I could use the moral support! Thanks.

Here's my email if by chance anyone would like to chat: cbeltran3@gmail.com

Last edited by bbones23 : 01-14-2013 at 08:17 AM.