Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Discouraged...
Thread: Discouraged...
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 PM

Default Discouraged...

My son had developed his hemangioma about a week after birth. Since it was so close to his eye they started treatment right away. (About 1 month old) At first they put him on propranolol & it seemed to be working however not as fast as they would have liked. Then it seemed to be no longer helping so they switched us to Athenolol (same class) It has gotten a lot flatter and less red but I'm still discouraged at the length it is taking. Perhaps I'm not administering the prescription properly? It seems to work really well at first but then as the prescription gets older the results slow down. He is now 8 1/2 months old and taking this prescription twice a day. (Up to 5mls now each time) I've already asked about Timolol but they refuse to prescribe it to me as there has not been enough studies on it. I'm also wondering if this means he will have his birthmark longer or if he just does not respond as well to the meds as other babies. I'm discouraged but trying to stay positive. It has not affected his vision so we are very happy about that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEW IPHONE 099 - Copy.JPG (97.2 KB, 0 views)