Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Is this a hemangioma?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 05:36 AM

Default Is this a hemangioma?

At birth my daughter had what looked like a small bruise under her right upper arm. During her 2 week follow up appointment with the pediatrician the bruise had grown to a red birthmark that covered her right armpit, under her right arm and on her chest towards her right nipple. When I asked her doctor what it was she said that it was a birthmark and that if it bothered her when she was older, it could be lasered off. I didn't think much of it at the time and so didn't ask what type of birthmark it was. It has now been two and a half weeks since then and it has grown a small amount but looks about the same. It is red, and slightly raised and quite large. I don't think that it is a port wine stain because it wasn't there at birth. I don't think it is a salmon patch because it is slightly raised and is on her arm/chest and most of those don't present in those places. So I am left wondering if it is a hemangioma. If it is, it is rather large and I am worried about it growing anymore. It isn't raised as much as most hemangioma's seem to be but maybe it hasn't grown as much as it will. She is only 1 month and I know that they typically don't stop growing until 6 months to a year. I would like to add a picture but had trouble loading it onto the forum. Perhaps I could email it to the moderator and they could help post it. I plan on asking my pediatrician about it again when I see her in a week and a half. I also plan on getting a referral to a pediatric dermatologist. Thanks for your help and input.