Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Resources in Central Florida
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 04:58 PM

Default Resources in Central Florida

Hi everyone. I came across this forum in looking for resources in area. My son is 5 1/2 months old and has what we've been told is a hemangioma on the edge of his right nostril. It started as a tiny red spot that we noticed when he was about 5 or 6 weeks old and now covers the entire top half of the edge of his nostril. We were actually told by a local pediatric ENT (who we saw for an unrelated issue) what it was, and since then have had it confirmed by both his pediatrician & a local dermatologist (not pediatric.) All of them have basically told us to just leave it alone and it will go away on it's own, but of course I'm not 100% satisfied with that answer. I'd like to get it evaluated by someone who actually has some expertise with this, and perhaps explore whether timolol or propanolol would be good options for us. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a pediatric dermatologist in my town (Tampa, FL.) I was told that the University of Florida (about 2 hrs away) was considered a "center of excellence" for infantile hemangioma.
Does anyone have any experience they'd like to share, or know of any doctors in the central Florida area that specialize in this? I am not opposed to making the trip to UF if that's the best place to go, but I'd like to see what the best option is. Thanks!