Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - How long can be the treatment with propranolol
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 02:50 AM

Hi Sonia. I'm not sure. My daughter was treated with a different drug-prednisolone which was used when we were going through this 9 years ago. I'm not sure if propanolol works the same way. But basically it kept her hemangioma under control when she was on it and then when she came off it grew back a bit (at about age 1)....at that point it started to fade and went through the normal process of involution (fading) that hemangiomas typically follow. Now, my other daughter had a pretty large, bright red hemangioma on her hand/wrist and we did not treat it at all. It TOTALLY went away on its own. So my guess is that with the propanolol the same thing will eventually happen...the drugs maybe speeds up the fading process at the beginning or "hold it back" from growing like crazy during the growth phase and then after that, it goes through the normal process of involution. That's my understanding. Here's some pictures of my daughter's hand hemangioma. I'm not sure if it's similar to your daughter's.

https://www.facebook.com/shannon.hoh...02383&t ype=3

So like I said, I'm not sure if things are different with propanolol...I think they are still figuring that out. But hopefully it will fade over time either way. It's so hard to be patient, but I have seen it happen 3 times (3 our of my 4 daughters have had hemangiomas and they are now all gone!)

Shannon