Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Dyan's story
Thread: Dyan's story
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Dyan

Default Dyan's story

Hi all

My name is Dyan and I'm 29.* I have a fairly dark pws on the right side of my face, surrounding my nose and a bit on my forehead.

I'm Canadian and have moved around a fair bit.* I think that was the most difficult part for me growing up - at least the one in grade 7.* If there would be one piece of advise I would give to parents it would be if you can avoid it at all, do not move during puberty.* Teenagers can be so mean! >* I was a pretty outgoing kid, until then.* The teenage years were pretty rough - I became pretty shy and introverted and quite jealous of my brother (he was cute and popular and boy could I be mean to him)* We fought constantly until I moved out of the house to go to university.* (We get along great now . . .)

I've had about 20 laser surgeries (all in the early 90s) with limited results.* I've done the pulse dye laser (thank God, we've progressed past that one!) and I think the second one was called a KTP laser.* I had a little fading, but nothing substantial, and nothing that justified the a) time b) travel c) money and d) pain (mostly with the dye laser - about 1992)* I'm sure the pain factor has diminished substantially since then.

About time I turned 20 I had the life is too darn short realization and just decided that people were going to love me for me, or not at all.* I burst out of my shyness bubble.* And the rest, as they say, is history.

I have a bachelor's degree in English and History and a Master's degree in Library and Information Studies.* You guessed it, I'm a Librarian - to answer your next question, I'm one of the loudest librarians I've ever met, and I only shush the people I really have to* .*

I'm in a great relationship with a man who loves me exactly the way that I am.* I also know that, should I decide to get treatment again, he would be completely supportive of my decision.

Well, I guess, in a nutshell, that's it.
I hope this helps . . . feel free to ask me questions, if you want.
Take care,
Dyan