Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Relationships
Thread: Relationships
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2005, 09:47 PM
violetchick

Default Re: Relationships

Hey People* ;D,
I'm a little remiss in responding to this message board, given that you started this in 2003...haha. I have read a lot of very positive responses from you all. It compelled me to post a poll.* I used to belong to a pws support group founded by one of the VBF people, Mike DeSteffano. I have to say, most of those people (at least when I was on the group) were happily married or in very stable long term relationships. So, I'm thinking to myself, "Am I a total freakin' loser?"

To be quite frank, I have an attractive albeit petite physique. I am intelligent and independant. Despite my birthmark, I am very outgoing. However, I have a very extensive facial portwine stain.* Given that it is fed by an underlying AVM, it is rather plum colored. It looks like a dark purple beard, essentially. I have scarring on my left cheek from an Argon treatment. I have had at least 8 treatments with PDL so it has lightened considerably on my right cheek and neck. The chin is just stubborn; increased blood supply and all that. My jaw and lip have hypertrophied due to the birthmark. I would say in all honesty, if it weren't for the darn birthmark, and comorbidities, I'd be hot.

I have had ZERO, when I say zero, I mean zero luck with men.* No dates, no repeat dates after a blind date, nothing!! Not even flirting!!!! Literally, after 3 months of having no matches on harmony.com I gave up. Forget it. I'll be one of those old ladies with 60 cats. I'm just kidding here...I'm actually allergic.*

I have no problems talking to people. I talk to guys all the time. The problem, is that we usually become friends. So I have a bunch of boy friends, but no boyfriend.* My one guy friend told me that I just push guys into the friend category to avoid getting hurt, so I worked on the flirting thing. It didn't make a difference. I'm taken for granted because afterall, I am just one of the guys. Meanwhile the guy is falling over furniture to help out the hot chick get a glass of water, or some such rediculousness. Let me clarify here. I don't intend to bash guys. I hazard to guess, guys have been subject to the same sort of things.

I just don't get it. How do all these people with PWS find someone that can look past image, and I can't? Well, I guess I have rambled enough.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts and stories. It is really nice to be able to get some insight from other people's experiences.
M

Quote:
what part of me being all noble didn't get through?--Angel