Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - possible venous malformation in finger
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 04:51 AM
joedmond

Default Re: possible venous malformation in finger

Okay, I have a similar situation and I sincerely hope that you have an MRI and ultrasound done before you proceed. I have an av malformation in my left thumb and will undergo my first treatment and arteriogram this Wednesday. My primary first referred me to an orthopedic surgeon who then referred me to a hand surgeon who then referred me to Dr. Antonacci at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, NC. Dr. Antonacci worked in Boston and performed an average of 5 of these surgeries on av malformations per day. He tells me that malformations can be mistaken for hemegiomas and some doctors even administer steroids resulting in the loss of a limb. Basically, although this is anything but, my malformation occurred when my arteries and veins formed together without conjoining capillaries. Anyway, my point is... PLEASE make certain of exactly what you're dealing with before your child goes under the knife. You'll want to know how experienced your surgeon is in this particular area. How successful he or she has been with past surgeries. What procedures will they use? Will there be an angiogram or artereogram which involves a catheter through the groin. And most importantly, will the body part operate like normal after the operation and how will it look?