Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Total Cost of Surgery With Dr. Waner - Lymphatic Malformation
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Total Cost of Surgery With Dr. Waner - Lymphatic Malformation

Thanks - That helps me begin forming a rough idea of what is ahead. I had been guessing that the hospital bill itself would be in the $30,000 range. I was kind of ballparking that Waner's, Persky's (an ENT that Waner wants to have managing the part of the surgery involving Jacqui's airway), and the anesthesiologist's bill combined would be in the 60-$80K range. We were guessing that a 2-3 week total stay in NY combined with our airfare would be in the $7,000-$10,000 range - depending on whether or not some of that will have to be spent in a more expensive location than the hospital apartments and how long we will have to stay.

Our primary insurance will cover everything the hospital bills at in-network rates and then the surgeon's and anesthesiologist's bills at 80% of 'usual and customary'. That seems to translate to about 60 - 65% of the actual cost. Looks like we've got some fundraising ahead of us.

I would still love to hear from as many people as possible on this and if anyone knows if you are allowed to stay in the hospital apartments after discharge until you are cleared for travel.

Thanks again Hank - if you have any additional pointers, tips or bits of wisdom you have picked up through your experience that you don't mind sharing, I would love to hear about them.

Shelly