Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - My teenage son has AVM on lip
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Re: My teenage son has AVM on lip

I agree with Corinne,

Contact Dr. Berenstein in New York (Beth Israel/Roosevelt hospitals).*
Another option is the Vascular Anomalies Clinic at Boston Children's Hospital.

Embolization is certainly a valid option, and I say yes...you should. But I'm not a doctor, and I say yes because it is the right choice for my son. The doctors at these clinics will give you the correct diagnosis and/or treatment options for your individual needs.

Cranio-facial AVM's can be quite complex and difficult to treat.* When I've requested advice from the medical community these are the two clinics that everyone agrees on.* You can also find several people around here that have had excellent care with these places. I see there is someone here who has also opted for treatment with Dr. Yakes in Colorado. I have heard many things about him also, but I'm not sure that he treats pediatric patients.*

My son has both cerebral and facial AVF/AVM's.* We live in Minnesota, but are currently seeing Dr. Berenstein in New York for this.* *In fact, Ben (our son), is scheduled for embolization of his cerebral AVM with Dr. Berenstein in 3 weeks. I've put some links below to give you some information about these clinics.* Both clinics are well respected for treatment of AVM's.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at the address in my sig.

Julie

Boston Children's Vascular Anomalies Clinic
Dr. Berenstein's Bio
You may find this site helpful also (personal experience with facial AVM)
Funny Face

Dr. Berenstein's Office
Center for Endovascular Surgery
212-636-3400
212-636-3217 (Mary Madrid...Dr. B's assistant)
jshiggie@gmail.com