Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum - View Single Post - Talking to a Child about thier PWS
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 08:46 PM
kiddiemom3

Default Re: Talking to a Child about thier PWS

Hi,

My daughter is 3 1/2 years old. When she was born we mentioned to my older daughter (she was then 2) that the mark is a birthmark. She took it at face value - I even once overheard her tell the baby - you are so lucky that you have a birthmark. Questions about her birthmark haven't really come up - yes she knows she has a birthmark but it's not an issue to us.

One time right after surgery she glanced in the mirror and wanted to know who colored her face. We explained to her that the doctor did it. If the spots remain too long after surgery she will inquire as to how long it will last. At this point I even had to warn her once not to color her face like the doctor does because she wanted to color her face with permanent marker. (she doesn't know about the surgery because we do it under anesthesia)

Regarding her classmates; she has been among 2 different groups and the kids have never made fun of her or even asked questions. She went to school 3 days after surgery and not even 1 kid mentioned anything about it. Older kids will look, sometimes ask what it is, but they don't make fun of her because she's much younger - and not her age.

I hope the info was helpful and if you have any additional questions feel free to email me.

Sincerely,
kiddiemom3