Wanted to share my daughters progression photos - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 04-23-2008, 12:11 AM

Default Wanted to share my daughters progression photos

I had an account here but haven't been here in ages. I couldn't log in so I had to recreate my account.

My daughter was born at 37 weeks, due to my pre-eclampsia. She was perfect in every way, except for the bright red birthmark on her thigh. But around 5 days there seemed to be a brighter spot in her stork bites. Having been on a parenting forum where a woman had a daughter with one I just knew it was a hemangioma. The ped confirmed it with me. At 2 months one appeared out of no where on her elbow. Thankfully it remained small. But the ped had informed me the one on her thigh was no ordinary birthmark but a hemangioma as well. He said if anymore appeared they would do scans to check for internal ones. Thank god no more appeared!

Today its faded tons and is lots smaller. I thank god it never got to large or had any complications! She has only broken it open once when she fell. Having her walk around and play outside scares the crap out of me because she stumbles a lot and falls and it freaks me out she will break it open again. I can't wait till its gone!

The ped said by around 3 the forehead one should be gone and by puberty the thigh one should go away. The elbow one is fully gone now with no scarring. I have a feeling the one on her head will leave a scar. I am just thankful her bangs have grown lots so it hides it now. I get so tired of the stares and people asking "what's wrong with your daughters forehead" or "where did she get that bruise on her forehead?".

Here she is at 1 day old

Here is the progression

And here is her thigh progression
My daughter Brenna was born with only the cavernous hemangioma on her left thigh. But soon wound up with 2 superficial ones as well. We are happy that it is involuting nicely with no complications! And thankfully she has only ever broken it open once! Scared mom to death, but we made it through!

Here are some pics of her hemangioma's
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...na/bheman1.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...na/bheman2.jpg
Old 04-28-2008, 03:33 AM

Your daughter is beautiful!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:18 PM

ditto... she is beautiful and congrats on making it thru!

C
Old 05-04-2008, 04:22 AM

Your daughter is gorgeous! My granddaughter has a similar H on her scalp. She was born at 34 weeks, also due to pre-eclampsia, and spent 3 weeks in NICU. Her mother (my daughter) also suffered from placenta previa. Does anyone know if pre-term birth, pre-eclampsia, or placenta previa has ever been linked to H birthmarks? I've read several posts that seem to have similar stories in a lot of cases.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc00 View Post
Your daughter is gorgeous! My granddaughter has a similar H on her scalp. She was born at 34 weeks, also due to pre-eclampsia, and spent 3 weeks in NICU. Her mother (my daughter) also suffered from placenta previa. Does anyone know if pre-term birth, pre-eclampsia, or placenta previa has ever been linked to H birthmarks? I've read several posts that seem to have similar stories in a lot of cases.
I have read in numerous things, as well as was told, that prematurity and being Caucasian increase the chances of Hemangioma's forming.
My daughter Brenna was born with only the cavernous hemangioma on her left thigh. But soon wound up with 2 superficial ones as well. We are happy that it is involuting nicely with no complications! And thankfully she has only ever broken it open once! Scared mom to death, but we made it through!

Here are some pics of her hemangioma's
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...na/bheman1.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...na/bheman2.jpg