Dating with a Port Wine Stain? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 08-25-2010, 06:15 AM

Default Dating with a Port Wine Stain?

I am a 19 year old girl...i have a large blotchy PWS on my left leg (ankle to the bottom of my knee)
I have NEVER dated a guy because i am sooooo afraid that he will find me unattractive after he finds out about my leg...or even worse embarressed of me.
It makes me really sad...i have tried laser treatments for about two years once a month...didnt work at all...

so i feel like i will always be alone....
Any of you have advice or similar experiances?
Old 08-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Administrator

I'll have to let someone younger answer this, but rest assured that we ALL have something that we consider wrong for our bodies. The right guy just won't care.

Missy
Old 08-25-2010, 06:17 PM

I don't have a PWS but my daughter has CMTC that covers her right leg. At your age it is hard to be self-confident but I agree with Missy in that the right guy will not care. I would guess it is a much bigger issue for you than the people around you. Go out and have fun because you are in the best years of your life.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:18 AM

Hi!

I'm 24, with a large birthmark on my right hand and arm. It's pretty visible, especially when I wear short sleeves during the summer. I found that once I got over it myself, I had a pretty normal dating life during and after college.

It's true that everyone has something they dislike about their bodies. & people worth being with won't let it stop them : )
Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 PM

I remember feeling a lot like you when I was younger. I have a large PWS on my entire left upper leg and part of my calf. I used to hate wearing shorts and almost never did in high school. I'm now 25 and have (mainly) come to terms with my birthmark.

I can tell you that even though I was embarrassed by it, my birthmark didn't affect my dating life. I would explain it to people, just saying it was a birthmark and I had it since I was born. Not one person ever cared that I had it. I even asked my current boyfriend of 4 years about it the other night, and he said he noticed it when he first met me, thought, oh, she has a birthmark, and that was the last he ever thought about it.

Anyone that is a good enough person to be with you won't have an issue with it at all!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 AM

Ok, i understand its only a birthmark. but my birthmark is raised, thick and bumpy in certain places...
it actually hurts sometimes.
You can literally feel my birthmark, which is the part that makes me the most ashamed.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:53 AM

i know it sucks but you gotta face the music so to speak if you want to date. I don't date but i have a few male friends. hardest part might be when they get defensive of you at other peoples comments.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Hi Muse.

I'm a nearly 24 yr old with a PWS on my forehead and have been in a few relationships (am currently in one now, actually) and NONE of the guys I have been with have been bothered by it--and I have asked! I have also been asked out a few more times by guys I didn't know (one was in a grocery store, actually).

My theory is that if a guy doesn't like you because of something like PWS (or freckles or the colour of your eyes), then who needs him? I know its never that easy once feelings get involved.

So, my advice is to keep your chin up and not worry about it. But also be willing to answer any questions he has if he's curious, or, if you're comfortable, offer to tell him about it in case he's afraid to upset you.

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:34 AM

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by erih View Post

My theory is that if a guy doesn't like you because of something like PWS (or freckles or the colour of your eyes), then who needs him?!
I totally agree with the above poster. I let guys know from the get go.My pws covers my entire face, though i always wear makeup. if the guy has an issue with it when he hardly knows me, he's far too interested in physical aspects for me!

ps. my boyfriend of 4 years found this forum for me while searching on the internet so he himself could learn more. you can find support like that!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcumsw View Post
I totally agree with the above poster. I let guys know from the get go.My pws covers my entire face, though i always wear makeup. if the guy has an issue with it when he hardly knows me, he's far too interested in physical aspects for me!

ps. my boyfriend of 4 years found this forum for me while searching on the internet so he himself could learn more. you can find support like that!
That is awesome!