Nevus of Ota? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 12-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Default Nevus of Ota?

Hi,

I am 32 and have a Nevus of Ota birthmark around my left eye. Basically my birthmark makes me look like I have a black eye and there is no shortage of people who ask me "what happened?". I have only recently found out what the official name of my type of birthmark is. Most of the resources I have found online pertain to PWS marks. This is mainly because my type of mark is most prevalent in Asian countries (I'm not Asian -- just lucky I guess! :-).

Does anyone else on this forum have Nevus of Ota? If so, I'd love to connect. I'd also love to connect with anyone who has any type of facial birthmark.

I do use make up and it works okay -- not 100% coverage, but I don't like to be without it.

Looking forward to "meeting" others. Thanks.

Dee
Old 12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Hi Dee,

Just wanted to say welcome!

Missy
Old 12-18-2010, 02:21 AM

Question Same here

I am now 21 with the same birth mark, except mine is on my right eye. I have no idea what the birthmark is other than the fact that it is "a dark blue lesion covering the cheek, forehead, and/or eye and is most commonly found in Asia." Any other research besides this??
Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Default nevus of ota

any information on this would be greatly appreciated. already sees a dermatoligist and eye doctor. should see a neurologist also?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittBrat1205 View Post
I am now 21 with the same birth mark, except mine is on my right eye. I have no idea what the birthmark is other than the fact that it is "a dark blue lesion covering the cheek, forehead, and/or eye and is most commonly found in Asia." Any other research besides this??
i have the same problem. it's nevus ota
Old 03-25-2014, 07:35 AM

Default Nevus of ota

Hi everyone.
I was also born with a birthmark around my left eye covering half my face. I was always very insecure and lacked alot of confidence in myself. As a teen i really hated it and had never seen or met anyone with the same thing. I thought i was the only one as well. My birthmark was a dark purple, blue and slight green. I use to walk down the street and always get asked "who hit you" or what happened? This at times was annoying to explain. Sometimes id reply by telling them it was a birthmark and other times id snap and say its none of your god damn business. I use to cry about it all the time and my dad always says he wished he"d had it instead of me. Ive been seeing my dermatologist for 11 yrs now and have continuously had the qswitched laser treatment. The eye lid is especially sensitive, and around the eye is painful and does swell up. I have noticed so much improvement over the years. My birthmark use to be extremely dark and now i can barely notice it. If you looked really close up its still a little bit there, mainly on the eyelid and below the left eye. But am treating those areas slowly as it hurts alot. It is extremely costly as this is not just one treatment but numerous over the years but i think it is all worth it. Ive gained so much confidence back now and no longer get asked what happened to my eye! I really suggest and recommend the laser treatment to anyone. This has changes my life forever. I always protect my skin with sunscreen and try and wear a hat. Id like to meet people on here with the same thing to share advice and experiences. My email is thi_nguyen85@hotmail.com.
Hope to hear from you guys
Regards
Tee x
Old 02-22-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeinkc View Post
Hi,

I am 32 and have a Nevus of Ota birthmark around my left eye. Basically my birthmark makes me look like I have a black eye and there is no shortage of people who ask me "what happened?". I have only recently found out what the official name of my type of birthmark is. Most of the resources I have found online pertain to PWS marks. This is mainly because my type of mark is most prevalent in Asian countries (I'm not Asian -- just lucky I guess! :-).

Does anyone else on this forum have Nevus of Ota? If so, I'd love to connect. I'd also love to connect with anyone who has any type of facial birthmark.

I do use make up and it works okay -- not 100% coverage, but I don't like to be without it.

Dee
Dee,

hello! i read your post and it sounds like you have exactly what my 16 year old daughter has. she has the nevus of ota in her left eye and left temple. and just recently it has spread all the way around her left eye, and yes it looks like a bruise. i would love to talk with you and discuss some things. have you had it since birth? has it grown or spread at all? my daughter sees a dermatologist and opthamologist yearly, but wondering if she should also see a neurologist? ah i just have so many questions im sorry! noone seems to have answers for me. cant wait to hear back from you!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 PM

Dee,

hello! i read your post and it sounds like you have exactly what my 16 year old daughter has. she has the nevus of ota in her left eye and left temple. and just recently it has spread all the way around her left eye, and yes it looks like a bruise. i would love to talk with you and discuss some things. have you had it since birth? has it grown or spread at all? my daughter sees a dermatologist and opthamologist yearly, but wondering if she should also see a neurologist? ah i just have so many questions im sorry! noone seems to have answers for me. cant wait to hear back from you!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by areli View Post
Dee,

I have had it since birth, but it has gotten larger and darker over the years. Several years ago I was seeing a dermatologist for my acne and she actually took a biopsy of it and told me it was a mole and there was no treatment for it. I am almost 30 years old and I stumbled across this plastic surgery site that went in depth about lasering port wine stains. So, yesterday I went for my visit and it was re-diagnosed as the naevus ota. I could see how the other dermatologist got it mixed up because they are similar and it is extremely rare in caucasions. Last night I did about 10 hours of research on this and have read about half of the posts from others. As of right now, I have only had a spot treatment done and will be seen next week. I am kind of worried though b/c these can actually be malignant (cancer) and I am a science major, so even though I know it's benign(not cancer) at this point, I am afraid of kind of messing with those melanocyte cells (pigment cells) and have them alter in any way. But, to be honest, I have always thought that if I could get it removed, I would be willing to lose my sight in that eye. I am at a point where I'd like to graduate pharmacy school without this defect. I am documenting my experiences with this removal and I am going to make a documentary to share with people that have this. It is literally life altering and debilitating to a lot of lives and if I can help another person feel more comfortable about this, then there was a reason this all happened, whether this treatment works or not.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeinkc View Post
Hi,

Dee
Hi Dee, I have a blue green birthmark which covers 25% of my face, including my right eye. It's become darker and larger as I've aged. I have two really fabulous dermotologists in my area who keep an eye on it for me. I had a biopsy a couple of years ago and thankfully there was nothing to worry about. I used to never go without my make because I was tired of people asking me what happened. I'm older now and don't care. Plus I've been able to help younger people when they see that they aren't the only one out there.

There is medical make up available now whichi is very good. It's expensive but it matchers your skin perfectly. I'm not Asian, but as I age, I get asked that question more often and even Asians think I'm 1/2 Asian. So possibly my ancestors may have come from the region of Ota.