Surgery information? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 10-12-2012, 06:03 PM

Default Surgery information?

Hi, my daughter is scheduled to have surgery on her H next week. I'm hoping to hear from others who have gone through this what their experience was like. Just curious how cranky she will be afterwards, if she will have trouble sleeping, need pain meds, etc. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Kelly
www.twicethefunindc.blogspot.com
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 PM

It's amazing how quickly they bounce back! I was told by the surgeon (Dr Levitin in L.A.) that she'd likely need pain meds the first 12-24 hours and, after that, she'd be back to her old self. And that's exactly what happened. I was pleasantly surprised. When she did need the pain meds, they seemed to work and she seemed fine -- just a little groggy.

The most stressful thing for us post surgery was not the pain -- it was the drainage tube. She required a drainage tube for 48 hours after surgery. My daughter's H was on her forehead, so the drainage tube led from there to a bag that collected the fluid. Since she was "back to her old self" the day after, it was a challenge to keep an active 18 month old from doing something that might yank the tube out. Hair clips and a zip-up hoodie ended up being invaluable solutions for us. I used the hair clips to clip the tube to her hair and guide it the back of her head (just make sure the clips aren't so tight that they impede the flow of the fluid). I put the bag inside the hood of her hoodie. (The zip-up hoodie was also great since we didn't have to pull it down over her head to dress her.)

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by slcraig1 : 10-15-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:29 PM

Oh wow, good to know, thank you! Dr. Levitin is our surgeon too, just in NY!