Poss VM or Lymphangioma - any relation to trauma?? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Arrow Poss VM or Lymphangioma - any relation to trauma??

Hi. I'm new here.

My 8mo son was born by planned c/s and they used a vacuum to pull him out. According to the doctor, the vac came off 4 times. He was born unresponsive and had to be revived. He had immediate swelling that was attributed to the vacuum use by the doctors and nurses. I was told it would go away in 3-4wks.

Well, it never did. It went down some but never completely away. This is on the left side of his head/face. His brow is starting to sag some and is starting to cover his pupil. He had a head u/s at the hospital and 2 CTs. The diagnosis has always been subgaleal hematoma. Then he had an MRI and they said "possible lymphangioma or hemangioma with bony involvement".

We just saw a dermatologist last week and she found a hemangioma on his back (very small) and took a biopsy hoping it might clue us in to what was going on with his head. That bx showed 2 things - port wine stain and something akin to vascular malformation. She is ordering a new MRI with MRV & MRA (veins and arteries). Then when we have that, we will go to this Pediatric Vascular Anomalies clinic where he'll be seen by the derm, an interventional radiologist and a plastic surgeon (as well as his neurosurgeon we had started out seeing for this).

I am struggling to understand these dx. How did we go from subgaleal hematoma to hemangioma/lymphangioma to port wine stain & vascular malformation?!

And, what is the correlation to the vacuum use? How could the vacuum have caused these? Or is it just a very odd coincidence? It just seems like I can't tie it all together and make sense of it.

Any thoughts or advice? FWIW, we are going to a VERY highly rated children's hospital (and, yes, it's all out of network) so I think we have great docs but I'm just not understanding how we got here.

Thank you for reading this far!