17 with PWS on cheek and getting treatment - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Living with a birthmark - my story

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2009, 12:15 AM

Smile 17 with PWS on cheek and getting treatment

Hi guys, I have just registered with VBF and wanted to share my story with everyone here. I was born with a PWS on my left cheek around 7x7cm in size. When I was very young I didnt relly notice it, and went all through primry and early high school normally. Very rarely would anyone mention it, and if they did it was more out of curiosity then anything else.

Mid way through high school I started wearing make up though and discovered Dermablend wich could cover my PWS very easily. This helped boost my confidence alot and I have worn this make up on an everyday basis up untill now.

A few months ago I searched the internet, came across this website and discovered that there is treatment for PWS's. I bokked and appointment with a Dermatologist and yesterday I went to my first treatment. She used a pulsed dye laser and it only lasted about 15seconds. It wasnt painful at all and didnt hurt after either. The PWS did go dark purple-to almost black though and it has swelled jus a little but Im hoping this will go down soon. The dermatologist said that most treatments are very successful and that around 75% of cases can remove the PWS completely.

I would just like to tell all parents and people with PWS's that they can be both lived with and removed. It has no affected my life in a negative way at all and its just something I consider part of me. However I would feel more comfortable with it gone so that is why I'm undergoing these treatments now.
Technology today is advance and sophisticated and I encourage this to anyone whos un dillema about weather or not to treat them. Its definately woth a try

Miranda.