PWS treatment in Asia? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 AM

Thumbs up PWS treatment in Asia?

Does anyone have experience treating a port wine stain in Asia? We are a military family stationed in Beijing China. Our son has completed ten laser treatments under general anesthesia with Dr Waner, and the results have been fantastic. There are a couple of physicians listed in the resource section of the website, does anyone have any experience they could share with us? We wish we could continue with Dr Waner, but we understand that finding a physician in our region is what is necessary to help deflect cost.
Many thanks!

Last edited by runningschurtz4 : 10-03-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

I have never heard anything negative about either doctor listed in China. How far out of China (if at all) could you travel, or would you have to stay there?

Missy

Jinjin Wu
Director of Dept. of Dermatogoloy
Daping Hospital
Third Military Medical University
Changjiang Branch 10th,Chongqing
400042, P. R. of China
e-mail: wwjfy@mail.tmmu.com.cn

Prof. Guoyu Zhou, M.D. (laser dermatologist specializing in birthmarks treatment with photodynamic therapy)
Associate Director
Medical Laser Center
Ninth People's Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University
Shanghai, China
Tel: +86-21-6313-8341 ext. 5205
email: guoyuzhou@hotmail.com
Qian Liu
Office of Vice President
Gannan Medical University
1. Yixueyuan Road, Ganzhou, Jiangxi 341000, P.R.China
Tel:+86-797-8261568(office)
+86-797-8261569(home)
+86-18907979876(mobile)
Fax:+86-797-8269600
Old 09-30-2009, 02:35 AM

We have an appointment today with a GP who will hopefully recommend that we have treatment in a facility outside of China - Hong Kong, Singapore are possibilities. Dr Nelson gave me contact information for a physician in Hong Kong, Dr Chan, and I have emailed him but am not sure about logistics. Because the placement of our son's birthmark is so extensive on his face, I am going to pursue having the treatment in the US if we have difficulty finding an experienced doctor using the most current laser treatment in Asia. Thanks for your assistance - any insight you have is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Other people will stop by with advice soon, I hope. Nice of Dr. Nelson to give you a recommendation... he's a really doc, isn't he?

Let us know how today's appointment goes.

Missy
Old 09-30-2009, 11:30 PM

Missy - thanks so much for your support and encouragement. I am so impressed with how responsive the expert physicians on VBF are! Within 12 hours I had replies from Dr Nelson and COL Thompson.
The doctor we saw was supportive, although I did have to tactly correct her when she called the treatment cosmetic. She supports us getting treatment outside of China, and I told her we were quite happy going back to the US if necessary in order to ensure we keep him on the right track!
We will know more in the next couple of days - I am so grateful for having VBF as a resource - it helped us 10 years ago when we were beginning treatment for our son!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Well, thank you very much. The docs who help us out here at VBF are phenomenal, aren't they?

Sooo glad they are being supportive of your treatment. Good for them! Please come back and let us know what you find out this week and next.

Take care!

Missy
Old 10-01-2009, 01:43 AM

Default PWS treatment in Hong Kong

Our daughter has a pws that covers most of her left cheek and she sees Dr Henry Chan in Hong Kong (we are originally from Australia but we were living in Hong Kong when Charlotte was born). Charlotte is now two and a half and has had 14 treatments with Dr Chan. Dr Chan uses the vbeam perfecta on Charlotte and her birthmark is now considerably lighter than when she started treatment. We moved to Singapore last year but fly back to Hong Kong to see Dr Chan every 8 weeks as we trust him implicitly in caring for our daughter. We can't recommend Dr Chan highly enough. Please let me know if you have any questions about logistics for traveling to Hong Kong for treatment - it is certainly much closer for you than traveling back home for treatment!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Charlotte's Dad!! I was looking for you! I KNEW there was someone who had treatments in Asia and couldn't remember who it was.

I'm so glad you stopped in.

Missy
Old 10-02-2009, 03:12 AM

This is great - thanks so much for sharing your experience with Dr Chan. Would you be able to tell me if your daughter had her procedures under local or general anesthesia? And, did Dr Chan perform the procedures at his office or at one of the hospitals? Thanks again!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:45 AM

Dr Chan treats Charlotte under general anesthesia (the doctor who does it is very experienced and a lovely man). The treatments are done in the surgery at Dr Chan's office. We usually fly to Hong Kong on a Sunday, see Dr Chan for Charlotte's treatment at around 10 am on the Monday and fly back to Singapore on Monday night.