pws on leg - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 03-12-2009, 07:20 PM

I would have to agree with the decision that your parents made. My 1 year old son has a PWS on most of his leg. I have only read that laser treatment can be painful. I know that he will be made fun of and that worries me and I wish to protect him but I will let him decide when he is older if he wants to go through with that. I also feel that this is the time for me to educate others on his condition and when he is older he can do the same. I have had people stare already but most ask me about it. I don't know too much at this time but I am wanting to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchnickel12 View Post
Just remember, if the laser treatments don't work well, don't panic. My parents decided not to do laser treatments on me because they were expensive at the time and very painful. I'm glad they didn't. I'm 25 now, and yes I struggled with my birthmark here and there in my life, (covers a large majority of my left leg), but it has also been something very special to me. It's made me stronger as a person and I've learned a lot of lessons with it on accepting myself and growing stronger as a person. I wouldn't trade a second of my life to have any kind of laser treatment done on it. I feel it would've been a waste of my time, money and pain. So my advice to all parents out there considering laser treatment, just remember its not what you think that matters most, it will be what your children think of their mark and themselves. I know we all want to protect them, but try not to treat them like they are so different, that they start to believe it. I don't think my parents even brought up that there was a laser treatment option until I was about 8 or 9 years old, and my dad asked me, "do you wish we would've done it?" and I said "no, my mark is a part of me". Just a little advice to hopefully bring some relief that things will be okay if they don't go as planned.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:20 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebearnv View Post
I would have to agree with the decision that your parents made. My 1 year old son has a PWS on most of his leg. I have only read that laser treatment can be painful. I know that he will be made fun of and that worries me and I wish to protect him but I will let him decide when he is older if he wants to go through with that. I also feel that this is the time for me to educate others on his condition and when he is older he can do the same. I have had people stare already but most ask me about it. I don't know too much at this time but I am wanting to learn.
hi, we decided to go ahead with the laser treatment on the advice of our extreemly good dermatologist. starting young gives the best results. we were told that if left untreated then it can develp into a raised cobbled birthmark in the future, i do not want this to happen to my daughter, and want to give her the best possible treatment available for her. she is almost 3 at the moment and we are hoping that by the time she starts school at age 5 that her laser treatment will be finished. we are being very realistic in our outcome and know that it will not dissapear completely, but will fade significantly.laser treatment is not painful, although young children are given a general anasthetic, this is because it enables them to stay completely still for the duration of the laser treatment which sometimes can be from 5mins to 1hr, depending on the size and area which is being treated. our children are blessed that laser treatment is available for them and if you choose to use them, can be reassured that they do work in reducing birthmarks. ive spent the last 3 yrs researching the effects of laser and ive seen some birthmarks a lot like my daughters fade to the point that you would nt even see it. i hope this helps xxx
Old 03-21-2010, 11:50 PM

My PWS sounds somewhat like your daughter's, though maybe a little darker, and on the area around my eye. I would definitely reccomend laser treatment, it has made an incredible difference for me, and at age 15, my PWS is almost completely gone (the doctors say I might only need a few more treatments!). I'm not sure if you're as concerned about it though, because of the location, but laser was a great decision for me.